The Chicago Council on Global Affairs is now accepting applications for the Next Generation Delegation from students to participate in the Global Food Security Symposium 2017. The symposium will be held on March 29-30, 2017, in Washington, DC.
Convened annually, the Global Food Security Symposium addresses the US government’s and international community’s progress on global food security and ensures that new challenges are met with action and innovation.
Since 2013, the Next Generation Delegation program has provided an opportunity for promising students to engage in symposium discussions and to interact with business and policy leaders, civil society, and social entrepreneurs working on agriculture, food, and nutrition issues.
Next Generation Delegates will have the opportunity to:
- interact with symposium speakers and senior attendees in private forum;
- network with other outstanding students planning careers in global food, agriculture, and nutrition sectors;
- connect with key stakeholders from the public, private, and NGO sectors in private meetings; and
- select delegates may also participate in symposium side events, panel discussions, or video interviews.
- Students must be at the graduate or advanced undergraduate (third or fourth year) level studying agricultural development, social entrepreneurship, entrepreneurship, or other food security related disciplines.
- Students must plan to enter the agriculture and food sector upon graduation.
- International students and students studying at universities outside of the United States are strongly encouraged to apply.
Delegates are expected to:
- Attend all symposium-related events in Washington, DC, on March 29-30, 2017. The Council will cover round trip airfare, accommodations, and meal expenses.
- Prepare a commentary piece for the Global Food for Thought blog on food security, shocks to the global food system, and entrepreneurship and innovation, as it relates to their area of research focus and career trajectory.
- Support social media outreach, which includes engaging your respective universities and disseminating information about the symposium, its featured report and the live stream to your networks.
- Contribute to and participate in the event’s social media plans, and responsibilities as required.
- Participate in a private post-event debriefing session and complete an online evaluation of the event.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should complete the application form below, providing the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two professional or academic references
- A letter of recommendation from a professor or employer
- A brief essay (maximum 500 words) on one of the following topics as it relates to their area of study: innovation and technology in the global food system, global food security and global stability, sustainable and equitable development of food systems.
The deadline for applications is November 4, 2016. Please note incomplete applications will not be considered. If you have in questions about the Next Generation Delegation, please contact [email protected]
For More Information: