Application Deadline: 16th May 2021
As a collaboration between Huza Press and the Goethe Institut Kigali, we are announcing a four-week writers’ residency in Kigali (Rwanda) in September 2021. The purpose of this residency is to support writers as they complete or make significant advances with a work-in-progress novel manuscript. We are particularly passionate about literature as a space for opening up conversations about gender, its modes of construction, histories, representation and relationality to power: the theme of this residency is therefore writing gender.
- Writers over 18 years old.
- Writers from African countries (except Rwanda) and German-speaking countries.
- Writers who have at least one published text, either with a publisher, in a literary magazine or in a newspaper. Self-published work will not be considered.
- Writers working on a novel (fiction) manuscript that explores gender and its constructions.
- Writers who are available for four weeks in September 2021.
- This writers’ residency will be awarded jointly to two writers: one writer based in Africa and one German-speaking writer. Both writers will stay in Kigali for four weeks.
- During their stay, the writers will have space to work on their writing, have literary exchange with each other and introduce their writing to a local audience.
- Transportation costs (a return economy flight ticket from home to Kigali) and visa fees will be covered.
- Accommodation during the four-week stay will be provided.
- Each writer will receive a grant of 2000 Euro for the residency period (inclusive of a per diem and private transport) paid inplace in two installments.
- Working languages for 2021 are English and German.
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS TO PROVIDE:
- Letter of motivation documenting your writing career, a proposed writing plan for the residency and the reasons for your application (max. 2 pages, in English).
- Description of the novel to be developed during your residency and its connection to ideas of writing gender.
- Work sample from the novel that you want to work on during your residency (3000-4000 words) and one other published text.
- Curriculum Vitae/Full biography (max. 2pages, in English).
- All documents must be send as one PDF.
Wednesday, 16th May 2021 (23:59 GMT +0)
The application shall be sent to the following address: [email protected]
For More Information: