Application Deadline: August 29 2014
Applications are invited for GreenMatter Bursaries for Masters and Doctoral
study at any tertiary institution in South Africa.
The Fellowship is designed to connect a community of outstanding champions, leaders and advocates who contribute positively towards managing and maintaining our South Africa’s biodiversity.
The Fellowship is unique in that it offers a range of development opportunities and welcomes graduates, young professionals and established leaders from all walks of life. It emphasises camaraderie, community and peer learning, while encouraging individual excellence.
This round of applications is for students who are starting or continuing a course of study in the 2015 academic year. GreenMatter will provide funding for up to a maximum of two years for Masters and three years for PhD.
Please note that bursary contracts are renewed on a year by year basis. F unding for
subsequent years is not guaranteed and students will be required to submit an application for bursary extension at the end of each year.
A GreenMatter bursary provides holistic support in the form of:
a) a cash contribution towards costs of living, study fees, research equipment, research costs, travel opportunities and mentorship costs – ZAR 40,000 per year for Masters and ZAR 90,000 per year for PhDs,though higher amounts may be awarded in exceptional cases or under the terms of named awards (see below) ;
b) the opportunity to access mentoring support, career guidance and platforms
to engage in learning networks – estimated value of ZAR 50,000 per year.
All eligible applicants will be also considered for these named awards:
- The Mapula Award: for students wanting to enrol at Stellenbosch University to commence PhD studies in 2015. The cash bursary amount is ZAR 90,000 per year.
- The Crossley-UCT Award: for students enrolling at the University of Cape Town to commence PhD studies in 2015. The cash bursary amount is R150 000 per year.
- The Crossley-Stellenbosch Award: for students enrolling at Stellenbosch University to commence PhD studies in 2015. The cash bursary amount is R150 000 per year.
Applications are invited for:
Cash awards of R40 000 per year for study at Masters level and R 90 000 per year for study at PhD level.Financial support is complemented by networking, mentoring and structured professional development opportunities.
Are you eligible?
To apply under this programme you must be:
- A citizen of South Africa
- Normally resident in South Africa
- In possession of a good first degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application
- Seeking funding for a full or part-time Masters or doctoral programme at a South African higher education institute
- Pursuing a field of study aligned to GreenMatter’s
How to apply
The application process will close at 3 pm BST on Friday 29 August 2014 British Summer Time, for study commencing in 2015. Applicants must apply to their chosen universities separately and awards are conditional on the applicant being offered a place at the relevant university.