Application Deadline: May 31, 2018 (the form will close at 23:59 Amsterdam time)
Every year hundreds of the world’s best ideas and projects in justice innovation apply to the HiiL Justice Accelerator. The Innovating Justice Challenge has been the world’s foremost search for justice innovations since 2012. Each year hundreds of justice innovations apply, and between 15-20 will be selected for grant funding, justice expertise and networking, and mentorship.
The HiiL Justice Accelerator is focused on finding and supporting innovations that create rights awareness, provide resolution of disputes and legal problems or improve efficiency and transparency in the existing legal system.”
In general, we find that justice innovations fall into three categories:
- Legal information, awareness and education: legal education & rights awareness, data and transparency;
- Access to justice, legal services and dispute resolution: legal services – ‘Lawyers 2.0’, dispute systems and procedures, human rights and protective measures;
- Inclusive justice policies: rule-making and governance, compliance and enforcement, advocacy and corruption fighting.
- (New) Ventures with a strong potential of delivering concrete justice solutions for many people, including micro, small and medium-sized businesses.
- Innovative justice initiatives that are already making a difference and have the potential and ambition to scale internationally or to many more users.
- Unique initiatives that are solving the most pressing justice problems for people, based on evidence and data, in particular family, land, crime or employment issues.
- Ventures that are financially sustainable and have measurable impact.
- Innovative initiatives within existing justice systems or public institutions, spearheaded by driven intrapreneurs that want to see things work differently.
Criteria: who can apply?
- The founder and applicant should be 18 years of age or older.
- The venture must be committed to providing access to justice underpinned by evidence showing justice needs.
- The person(s) with whom we engage should be the founder or a co-founder of the organization and should be able to make key, high-level, and direction-shifting decisions (such as whether or not to take investments and who to partner with) on behalf of the entire organization.
- HiiL can only accept innovations to be incorporated with a bank account in the name of the legal entity by the time they receive our grant funding.
- Applications are due by the end of the day on May 31, 2018 (the form will close at 23:59 Amsterdam time)
- Several selection rounds, including local mentor and expert feedback, take place in June and July.
- Between 40-50 startups, selected as semi-finalists, will be invited to pitch at local Boostcamps. This year’s Boostcamps will take place in Johannesburg, Lagos, Nairobi, Kampala, Kyiv, and The Hague. In some cases, startups may pitch by Skype or be brought to the nearest Boostcamp. Additionally, these semi-finalists will be guided through a “market validation” process.
- Between 15-20 startups will be selected for Acceleration.
For More Information: