Application Deadline: March 30, 2018
The IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program is funded by the Simons Foundation, NY, USA and supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from African developing countries employed in Africa to travel to an internationally known mathematical center of excellence (worldwide) for collaborative research. All travel and living expenses of the grantees will be covered by the fellowship up to 5,000 USD.
The Simons Foundation is a private foundation based in New York City, incorporated in 1994 by Jim and Marilyn Simons. The Simons Foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences. They sponsor a range of programs in the sciences, including grants programs in mathematics and the physical sciences. The primary focus of the foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences division is the theoretical sciences radiating from mathematics: in particular, the fields of mathematics, theoretical computer science and theoretical physics.
The “IMU – Simons African Fellowship Program” will run for 5 years until September 2021.
- The program supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from AFRICAN developing countries employed in AFRICA to travel to an Internationally known mathematical centre of excellence/ university (WORLDWIDE) for collaborative research.
- The program is not for any post graduate courses or post doctoral training but for a LIMITED RESEARCH PERIOD.
- The grant covers TRAVEL and BASIC LIVING COSTS of African mathematicians working in Africa (Specifically coming from a developing country, the definition of which is determined by the IMU for all its schemes) during the sabbatical.
The grant under this scheme will cover up to 5,000 USD:
- Travel costs
- from the place of work of the applicant to that of the host to the extent of economy class airfare. The flight will be booked and directly paid by the IMU Secretariat.
- (Public) transport (surface transport by rail or bus between the nearest city where the airport is located and the headquarters of the candidate or the city/town where the host institution is located, if necessary). Maximum four (4) Taxi fares (on submission of receipts) may be allowed to travel between the home and the airport/railway station (upon arrival and departure).
- In case the applicant has to stay in a hotel before departure or upon arrival, this needs to be mentioned in the budget details. Maximum one (1) night (both arrival and departure) can be paid from the grant.
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living cost (daily allowance based on living cost of the visiting country/city, This amount includes the cost for public transport and all other living costs). For a list please go here.
- Accommodation cost in the host country (Only guest house of the institution or a rented flat. Hotels are allowed if the hosts provides a statement that no guesthouse or rented flat is available).
In order to apply please take the following steps:
- Please fill out and submit the online application form for the IMU-Simons Programs.
- Then send the application with all requested documents (two CVs: of the host and the applicant, detailed Research plan, invitation letter by the host institution, letter by the home institution, tentative budget details in USD as one joint pdf document plus a picture of the applicant to CDC Grants via email: email@example.com.
- Please submit the completed bank information form which we need IN CASE you are selected for a grant.
The application form can be found here
For More Information: