Application Deadline: September 30 2013
The Prize aims to RECOGNIZE, ENCOURAGE, INSPIRE and REWARD women’s participation in the socio-economic development process.
It aims to:
- the important role of women in IDB member countries and Muslim communities globally
- contributions made by individuals or organizations to improve the socio-economic status of women in IDB member countries and Muslim communities in non-member countries
- efforts to improve women’s access to opportunities and resources to help them become active participants in developing their economy and society
- individuals and organizations that offer grants and resources to support the socio- economic development of women in their societies
- women by promoting exemplary role models
- individuals and organizations to initiate and actively engage in all projects aiming at developing women and building their capacities
- individuals and organizations that are committed to improving the well-being and status of women locally, nationally, and globally
- actions that reinforce and strengthen the role of women as essential contributors to society as well as effective agents of change and development
Theme and Topics
In order to highlight various issues shaping our world and their specific effects on women, the theme of the Prize varies each year and is further specified into topics for the individual and organization categories. The Theme for the 1435H/2014G Prize is “Women’s Contribution to Food Security.”
The Prize consists of two cash awards;
a) U.S. $ 50,000 for a woman or a group of women
b) U.S. $ 100,000 for an organization
The Prize is awarded during the Annual Meeting of the IDB Board of Governors.
The general criteria applied in selecting and assessing nominations for the Prize for both individuals and organizations include the following:
Individuals and organizations nominated should exhibit projects that have contributed to the improvement of the socio-economic status of women and helped them to build their capacities.
Individuals and organizations nominated should have projects/activities that are outstanding, innovative and unique
Individuals and organizations nominated should have mechanisms for extending their projects/activities to surrounding areas to ensure their services are offered to as many women as possible.
Individuals and organizations nominated should have projects/activities that are sustainable
The Prize is administered by the IDB through the Capacity Development Department and the IDB Women’s Advisory Panel in collaboration with its academic advisor, Effat University. The processing of the Prize involves the following steps:
- The IDB Women’s Advisory Panel determines the yearly theme for the Prize during their annual meetings.
- The academic advisor refines the theme and topics, establishes the specific criteria of selection and develops the nomination forms.
- The IDB publicizes the Prize and receives nominations.
- An independent screening committee is established by the academic advisor to short list nominations.
- An independent Selection Committee is established by the IDB to select winners of the Prize from the short listed candidates.
- The winners for both the individual and organization category are chosen by the Selection Committee and are announced during the Annual Meeting of the IDB Board of Governors.Selection Committee
The Selection Committee is composed of five distinguished women. Members are annually chosen and selected based on their extensive experience in the field of the related theme and topics. The committee is comprised of members from the IDB Women’s Advisory Panel and subject specialist.
Deadline for Nominations: 24 Dhul Qa’dah (30 September, 2013)
To Nominate or Request Information, Please Contact;
Capacity Development Department
Islamic Development Bank
P.O. Box 5925 Jeddah 21432
Tel: +966 2 646-6787/6625
Fax: +966 2 646-7828
Announcement of the Prize Winners
Prize Winners will also be announced through the following channels:
- Members of the IDB Board of Governors.
- Members of the IDB Board of Executive Directors.
- NGOs & Women’s Organizations that are partners of the IDB.
- International and IDB member countries’ media.
- The IDB Women Advisory Panel Members.
- IDB Website.
Prizes will be awarded during the 39th Board of IDB Governors Meeting scheduled to take place in Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia from 27-28 Sha’ban 1435H (25-26 June 2014G).
How to Apply
For More Information: