Application Deadline: 6 pm Friday, 29th May 2015
Open to: The Award is open to published writers of poetry, prose, plays and novels by an African writer, whether in Africa or elsewhere, published in the English language or translated into the English language.
The Sylt Foundation calls all writers of contemporary African literature to apply for the two months African Writer ́s Award, offered as part of the Sylt Foundation Residency Programme. One residency will be awarded anually to an African writer who has published (not self-published) literary works of either poetry, prose, plays and novels. African literature refers to literature of and from Africa.
The African Writer ́s Residency offers an Award of a two months residency to writers of African literature, whose work engages with contemporary themes related to Africa and the African diaspora.
This period will provide the writer with:
- an opportunity to initiate or complete a project in progress
- a quiet space suitable for contemplation and research
- an uninterrupted period of writing
- a means to leverage their artistic profile
- an opportunity to engage with other international writers and artists
The contemporary African writer who wins the award is expected to work on or complete a writing project he/she proposed in her/his application. The residency aims to provide an opportunity for the writer to develop ideas and to do research related to the project.
The winner is supposed to name the Sylt Foundation when the project is finished in the publication. He/She is also asked to use the Sylt Foundation ́s website and social media once in a while to share reflections and progress of the work.
Writers of African literature are invited to submit:
- a project proposal of the project they wish to work on while in residence
- it can be a current or proposed literary project
- a synopsis of the novel, play, poetry or other literary project
Applications to include:
- copy of a valid passport conforming Schengen visa requirements
- full Curriculum Vitae
- Writer ́s profile in English – appr. 500 words
- Two (2) letters of reference in English from literary professionals, publishers or academics
Plus an excerpt (stating the publishers) from one published book
- a volume of poetry
- a (publicly staged) play with information as to where and when it was staged
Key dates for the 2015 African Writer ́s Residency Award:
- The call for application will go out 17th February 2015
- Deadline for application submission is 6 pm Friday,29th May 2015
- Announcement of the Residency Award winner, 15th July 2015
- Residency to be taken anytime from november 2015 –october 2016
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Sylt Foundation African Literary Writer’s Residency Award