Application Deadline: October 31st 2013
KAS Media Africa is offering two scholarships for promising, young (under 30) sub-Saharan African journalists to do a full-time Honours or Masters degree (MA or BA Hons in Journalism and Media Studies) at the University of Witwatersrand’s Journalism Programme in Johannesburg.
- One return flight to Johannesburg
- A monthly stipend of 7 000 ZAR
- Coverage of study fees and health insurance costs
- A one-time payment of 2 500 ZAR for study material
- Candidates need to be under 30 and fluent in English.
- For Honours, candidates must have at least three years’ working experience and
either an undergraduate degree or pass an entrance test.
- For Masters, candidates must have a degree equivalent to the BA Hons in Journalism and
at least three years’ working experience.
- Candidates have to work closely with KAS Media Africa during their stay in Johannesburg
and write a bi-monthly narrative report on their study progress.
Applicants need to submit:
- A motivation letter
- A CV
- Writing samples
- At least 2 letters of nomination/reference by a senior journalist,
publisher or academic
- A completed Wits application form (available from http://www.wits.ac.za )
Applications via e-mail are accepted until October 31, 2013, to [email protected].
Candidates will have to make themselves available for a (skype) interview.
The decision on who gets the scholarship will be made by 15 Nov. The academic year starts on 10 Feb 2014, and ends with the submission of research reports at end- November.