Application Deadline: November 21st, 2022
kulturweit-tandem invites people from african countries and germany to explore the history/histories of colonialism from many perspectives and to deal with our postcolonial present. you develop projects in culture, education and sustainability that you can implement together in Germany.
In the kulturweit tandem, two participants from an African country and two from Germany deal with the history of colonialism and its effects on the present. Together you will develop projects against racism that you can implement in theatres, museums and schools, in clubs, initiatives or in companies in Germany.
- If the center of your life is in Germany, Kenya, Madagascar or Tanzania and if you are of legal age.
- Basic language skills in German, French or English are required.
- In addition, very good knowledge of one of these three languages.
- You are of legal age and live in Germany or one of the participating African countries.
- You must have basic knowledge of German, French or English. You should have very good knowledge of one of the three languages.
- Please note the necessary requirements for a valid visa (vaccination status, etc.).
- Desire for international exchange
- Curiosity and openness to other people and places
- A sense of responsibility and independence
- Enjoy volunteering
- Willingness to work full-time (i.e. 38.5 to 40 hours per week) and to integrate into a team
- Interest in dealing with the history of colonialism, postcolonialism and criticism of racism
- Enjoy project work
- The program consists of a two-month, everyday language course, a four-week seminar in Kenya and a three-month project phase in Germany. All participants receive financial support and educational support.
kulturweit offers you:
- Coverage of the international and national travel expenses for flight or train to the seminar location and to the place of assignment and
- Subsidy for the two-month language course (German, English or French course)
- Accommodation and meals during the international seminar in an African country
- a full-time job for three months in an institution in the cultural, educational or sustainability sector in Germany. Here you will be supported with 750 euros per month. Please note that depending on the location of the assignment, you will have to find accommodation for this.
- International health, liability and accident insurance
- Organization and implementation of the accompanying educational program
- a contact person at the deployment site
- a contact person for questions about application, selection and placement, visa and security at the German Commission for UNESCO
- Quality Assurance and Evaluation
What costs will you incur:
- Visa and all associated costs (e.g. travel costs to embassies, consulates or authorities, processing fees, certifications, translations),
- Transfer (bus, train, taxi) to the airport at the place of residence
- all costs that go beyond the monthly subsidy of 750 euros that you receive during the three-month project phase in Germany. During this time you have to take care of your own accommodation and meals.
- for participants from Germany: during the project phase in Germany you remain in your health insurance, you may incur costs. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Multi-day follow-up seminar
The follow-up seminar takes place during the last week of the project phase in Germany. Here all participants meet again to reflect on their experiences and experiences and to develop perspectives and possible collaborations for the time after participation in the program.
educational and networking events
In addition, further educational and networking events will take place during the project phase, such as an interim seminar, in which the participants will reflect on their first few weeks together, exchange ideas about their projects and experience encounters that are thematically related to the program.
With kulturweit-Tandem you are committed to a world without discrimination. You will gain international experience, give free rein to your creativity during the project phase and establish a network with which you can get involved for a long time to come.
kulturweit-Tandem is funded by the Federal Foreign Office and is part of the Federal Government’s catalog of measures against right-wing extremism and racism.
the participating African countries are published on this website about two months in advance):
- March 2023 for the program from September 2023 to February 2024
- July 2023 for the program from January to June 2024
- November 2023 for the program from May to October 202
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the UNESCO Kulturweit Tandem Exchange Program