Application Deadline: May 2nd 2018
Misk Grand Challenges aims to help young people change the world by empowering them to create fresh, innovative solutions to global challenges facing the next generation.
Misk Grand Challenges is a collaboration between the Misk Foundation, a non-profit philanthropic foundation established by HRH Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman to empower young people to succeed in the knowledge economy, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which funds global health and development programs for the world’s poorest people.
In the next three years, Misk Grand Challenges plans to launch new challenges every six months, offering 100 innovators across the world a grant of $100,000 to develop their ingenious ideas into a concrete proof of concept.
The challenges will focus on two themes (with more coming soon)
- Global Citizenship
We want bright ideas for how young people can help deliver the Global Goals for Sustainable Development.
We want innovative solutions to transform our education systems and empower young people to succeed in the knowledge economy.
We’ll choose the winners based on how well your ideas overcome the challenge. If you can then use your $100,000 grant to develop your ideas into a successful proof of concept, you may have an opportunity to apply for more funding.
- Misk Grand Challenges plans to open two application windows each year, for three years. Each window may include new challenges as well as continue previous challenges.
- The first application window opens on 14 November 2017 and will be open for six months.
- Projects are not required to be focused in particular geographic areas.
- There is no age requirement, but we particularly encourage young people to apply.
- Misk Grand Challenges innovators should be linked to an institution capable of receiving a grant. Our grants will not be made to individual people.
- Your proposed solutions should target people under 30, in addition to any specific criteria mentioned in individual challenges.
- Awards total US $100,000 each, to be provided over two years, with an opportunity to apply for follow-on funding afterwards.
Alongside funding, winners will be invited to join a network of global change makers by:
- Attending the 2nd annual ‘Goalkeepers’ event in September 2018. Organized by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Project Everyone, this event aims to accelerate progress on the Global Goals by bringing together new generations of leaders to tackle extreme poverty and disease.
- Attending the Misk Global Forum, an annual gathering that brings young leaders, creators and thinkers together with established global innovators to explore, experience and experiment with ways to meet the challenges of change.
- joining a virtual community of Grand Challenges awardees and partners a network of over 2,500 awardees
How to Participate:
Choose a challenge
We want solutions to big challenges. Browse our list of Grand Challenges and find a challenge that inspires you.
Propose a solution
Prepare a project with your solution to the challenge and send it to us.
We’ll review every proposal and give each winner a grant of $100,000 to develop their exciting ideas.
For More Information: