Drawing on the unique cultural resources and experiences of developers around the world, The UN Alliance of Civilizations invites individuals and teams — beginners and experts alike — to create new apps and mobile games that raise awareness and enable new opportunities for intercultural dialogue and submit them in competition for deployment at the UNAOC Forum in Vienna, Austria (27-28 February 2013). After the forum in Vienna, apps will be made available for download so a larger audience may experience what developers contribute to the challenge.
Developers might consider how new apps and games can be specifically relevant in supporting such pursuits as gender equality, youth development, migrant integration, religious pluralism, better understanding among individuals of different cultural and religious backgrounds, biased media representation of cultures and religions, and education and how they support greater understanding of the increasing demand for public recognition of cultural rights put forward by different groups and individuals in contemporary multicultural societies. New apps might facilitate dialogues, not only between opposing cultures and civilizations but also between the globalized elite and various local groups. Finally, effective apps and games might enable practical ways to talk about and moderate cultural positions.
Registration and Submission Requirements
- You may register to participate in the competition between 16 July and 30 November 2012. Developers may register as an individual or as a team. Registrants must be 13 years of age or older.
- A video walk-through (i.e., screen capture) or PowerPoint/Keynote presentation of a working app or game alpha or beta prototype built in HTML5 should be submitted for competition by 30 November 2012. Note: Developers are not required to submit actual working apps/games on authorized development devices to the UNAOC.
- Five (5) apps/games in HTML5 will be selected as finalists by 3 January 2013. Developers will be notified and awarded $5,000 (US) per app to complete development of a fully functional app/game by 15 February 2013.
- Apps/games will be played and rated by participants during the 2013 UNAOC Forum in Vienna, Austria (27-28 February 2013). A Grand Prize will be awarded. After the Vienna Forum, the selected apps will be featured and made available for free downloads at the challenge website as well as at other industry standard platforms.
- All apps/games submitted to the challenge competition will be featured on the website before and after the Forum in Vienna.
The submission deadline for a video walkthrough, presentation, or prototype of the app is 30 November 2012.