Application Deadline: March 31st 2017
Ms. Geek is a competition designed to inspire African girls to be part of solving the continent’s challenges using technology and encourage them to choose a career in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Finalists undergo a week long intensive development program which equips them with presentation, public speaking and critical thinking skills to ensure they are prepared for competition day.
Since 2014, finalists have presented their ideas before a high level panel of judges. Last years’ finalists presented their ideas in the presence of The First Lady of Rwanda, Jeanette Kagame. This year, Girls in ICT Rwanda is proud to partner with Smart Africa to expand the competition to all its member states to crown the first ever Ms. Geek Africa. The Transform Africa Summit provides an opportunity for the girls to compete and collaborate with peers as well as participate in dialogues that influence Africa’s digital transformation.
- Female between ages of 13 and 25 years’ old.
- Be a citizen of any of the Smart Africa member states: Rwanda, Kenya, Uganda, Angola, Burkina Faso, Cote d’ivoire, Chad, Gabon, Mali, Senegal, South Sudan, Benin, Djibouti, Egypt, Guinea, Niger, Togo.
- Contestants must be available between 5th – 12th May 2017.
- Contestants must be in Rwanda to attend Ms. Geek training and Transform Africa 2017.
- The best solution from each member state shall be selected into the top 17 by Girls in ICT and Smart Africa Secretariat.
- All 17 participants shall participate in a week long training and the top 5 shall compete on the final day for the Ms. Geek Africa 2017 title.
- Girls in ICT Rwanda is a group of women professionals in STEM, who have come together to be role models for Rwandan girls and encourage them consider careers in STEM fields.
- The document must describe the solution in detail, including the conceptual design, what technologies should be used to develop it, the role of various users, how content will be generated, and ultimately how knowledge is transferred.
- The technology solution must be original, but may partially include the integration of existing technologies.
- Please consider that your users will have varying Internet access in terms of how frequently they can use it and which devices they will use (laptop, tablet, mobile phone).
- A graphical presentation must accompany the concept note, demonstrating how the solution will work and an example of the user interface.
For More Information: