Application Deadline: 5pm UK time on 26 April 2017
The Standard Bank Africa, Derek Cooper Scholarship marks the culmination of over
thirty years of direction, vision and action attributed to Derek Cooper, a true South
African business leader and former Chairman of the Standard Bank Group.
It is becoming clearer that Africa has a critical role to play in shaping the 21st
Century. The continent is increasingly interacting with the rest of the world on its
own terms. Through this commitment, Standard Bank aims to champion those
African leaders who will actively build a future for Africa, led by Africans.
These leaders will be asked to exercise global influence through visionary leadership. Nine students will be carefully selected to complete their post-graduate studies at the prestigious institutions of Cambridge, Oxford and The London School of Economics and Political Science in the United Kingdom.
Each specializing in their unique areas of expertise. These individuals will represent the best and brightest Africa has to offer, introducing thoughtful challenge amongst their peers as they grow in courage, fair-mindedness and integrity. Their stay and studies will be fully-funded and backed by Standard Bank as part of our commitment to enable and empower them to become effective leaders in Africa.
- The Standard Bank Africa, Derek Cooper Scholarship is available to graduate students who are and will ordinarily remain resident in one of Standard Bank’s African presence countries.
Prospective candidates must demonstrate an exceptional academic track record and will need to have successfully qualified on their own merit in their application for a one-yearMaster’s programme at either of the following partner university institutions: Oxford, Cambridge and London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
A preference will be given to students commencing a course of study in one of the following programmes:
UnIversIty of Cambridge
• MPhil in Economics
• Mphil in Education
• Mphil in Engineering for Sustainable Development
• Mphil in Finance
• Mphil in Management
University of Oxford
• MSC programme provided by the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities divisions at the University.
London School of Economics and Political Science:
- MSc Environmental and Development
- MSc Environmental Economics and Climate Change
- MSc Public Management and Governance
- MSc Finance (full-time)
- MSc Finance and Private Equity
- MSc Risk and Finance
- MSc Real Estate Economics and Finance
- MSc African Development
- MSc Law and Accounting
- MSc Economics and Management
- MSc Management Information Systems and Digital Innovation
- MSc Management and Strategy
- MSc Financial Mathematics
- MSc Economics and Philosophy
- The Scholarships will provide the tuition and college fee in full, and a maintenance grant (i.e. living costs incurred in the college such as rental of college accommodation, food taken in college, etc.) commensurate to the national minimum doctoral stipend of the UK Research Councils, and a travel and settling-in allowance
standard Bank Is present In the followIng afrIcan countrIes:
1. South Africa
4. Côte d’Ivoire
5. Democratic Republic of the Congo
14. South Sudan
How to apply for the standard Bank Africa, Derek Cooper Scholarships:
Please be advised that you will be required to apply for your programme of choice as well as funding. Application dates vary for each institution. Please therefore refer to your University of choice for application dates. Applications should be channeled directly through each University website, as follows:
The application offices of the above universities can be contacted directly for assistance in completing the documentation required. The prerequisite forms and contact details can all be found on their respective websites.
Note: If applying for Cambridge, it is important that you list Magdalane College as your first preference in order to be considered for the Scholarship. Students will be required to complete The Standard Bank Africa, Derek Cooper application form which can be obtained through the Graduate Tutor’s assistant via email@example.com
For More Information: