Application Deadline: 1 February 2021
Scholarship Deadline: February 8 to 21, Application for masters is October 16 to January 15.
Swedish Institute (SI) provides fully-funded scholarships for ambitious professionals to pursue a full-time master’s degree in Sweden. All the scholarship holders are included in the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL) – a platform to help the scholarship holders grow professionally and build their network. After their studies, the SI Alumni Network will be a platform for continued networking and further professional development for them. If you have a strong professional background, demonstrated leadership experience,
Country of citizenship
You must be a citizen of a country that is eligible for the scholarship programme. Read more about country of citizenship.
Read more about country of citizenshipUniversity admissions
You must be liable to pay tuition fees to Swedish universities, have followed the steps of university admission, and be admitted to one of the eligible master’s programmes by the 9th of April 2021.
Read more about our criteria regarding University Admissions.Other eligibility criteria
There are also other conditions regarding dual citizenship, previous residence and studies in Sweden, and more.
Note: Some criteria for priority SI scholarships differ depending on the home region of the applicant.
Armenia; Azerbaijan; Bangladesh; Bolivia; Belarus; Brazil; Cambodia; Cameroon; Colombia; Ecuador; Egypt; Ethiopia; Gambia; Georgia; Ghana; Guatemala; Honduras; Indonesia; Jordan; Kenya; Liberia; Malawi; Moldova; Morocco; Myanmar (Burma); Nepal; Nigeria; Pakistan; Peru; Philippines; Russia; Rwanda; Sri Lanka; Sudan; Tanzania; Tunisia; Turkey; Uganda; Ukraine; Vietnam; Zambia; Zimbabwe.
- have already resided in Sweden for cumulatively two years or more, prior to the scholarship period (August 2021);
- have previously been awarded a Swedish Institute scholarship for master’s level studies or research at a Swedish university/university college; Previous participants of the SI Summer Academy for Young Professionals (SAYP), and students who have attended SI summer courses in the Swedish language or the Swedish Institute Summer University (SISU) may still apply;
- already hold a degree from a Swedish university/university college;
- are currently enrolled in a study programme at a Swedish university/university college;
- have a Swedish or EU/EEA citizenship*, a Swedish permanent residence permit or a temporary work- and residence permit based on work or on family ties with a citizen of Sweden/EU/EEA country who has a temporary or permanent right of residence in Sweden; or
- have dual citizenship in countries not listed on the DAC list of ODA recipients.
*Exception: students with dual citizenship in Romania may still apply for a scholarship but must apply with the citizenship that is eligible for the SI Scholarships for Global Professionals when applying to SI Scholarships as well as University Admissions.
- The scholarship is intended for full-time one-year or two-year master’s programmes.
- The scholarship period cannot be changed or extended beyond the awarded scholarship period, nor can it be transferred to a study programme other than the awarded master’s programme.
- SI fully covers your tuition fees to the Swedish university you are attending. This is paid directly by SI at the beginning of each semester.
- You will receive a regular payment of SEK 10,000 to cover your living expenses throughout the scholarship. This payment is given monthly throughout the scholarship period.
- Insurance against illness and accident.
- Membership of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders(NFGL) – a platform to help you grow professionally and build your network while in Sweden.
- After your scholarship period has ended, you gain membership to the SI Alumni Network. As a member, you get a unique opportunity for continued networking and to further develop yourself professionally. The local networks exist worldwide and currently consist of over 15,000 talented alumni from over 140 countries.
- For Bangladesh; Bolivia; Brazil; Cambodia; Cameroon; Colombia; Ecuador; Egypt; Ethiopia; Gambia; Ghana; Guatemala; Honduras; Indonesia; Jordan; Kenya; Liberia; Malawi; Morocco; Myanmar (Burma); Nepal; Nigeria; Pakistan; Peru; Philippines; Rwanda; Sri Lanka; Sudan; Tanzania; Tunisia; Uganda; Vietnam; Zambia; Zimbabwe the scholarship also includes a travel grant of SEK 15,000 for the entire study period. This is a one-time payment and does not apply for students already living in Sweden.
- For Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russian Federation, Turkey or Ukraine. The scholarship also includes a travel grant of SEK 10,000 for the entire study period.This is a one-time payment and does not apply for students already living in Sweden.
Note! Documents for the next call (2021/2022) will be made available here in December 2020/January 2021.
You should only submit the required documents listed below in your online scholarship application. We will not consider any other documents than the required ones. You must complete your application in English. Use our forms and templates provided below and complete them according to the instructions both below and in the forms, or else your applications will be disqualified. Kindly note the length limitation for your answers and the documents.
A complete application consists of:
- Motivation letter
- Letters of reference
- Valid and completed proof of work and leadership experience
- Copy of your valid passport
Note: Your application will be disqualified if any of the required documents above is missing.
You must use the Global Professionals form for the motivation letter 2021/2022. You need to fill in and upload the motivation letter as a PDF-file on the application portal within the application period.
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
You must use the Global Professionals form for CV 2021/2022 and the CV should not exceed three pages. It’s up to you to decide which parts are relevant for your application. Additional pages will not be considered during the evaluation.
Letters of reference
You must use the Global Professionals form for the letter of reference 2021/2022. One letter of reference based on work experience is mandatory. All letters of reference must be signed by the referee and stamped with an official stamp of the referred organisation or notary office. The letters should be typed, then printed, signed, stamped, and uploaded as a single PDF-file. You can find more information in the instruction in the form and our FAQ.
- Two different letters of reference are mandatory as part of the application. It is also a merit if the second letter of reference is based on your involvement in networks or civil society organisations outside of your regular work.
Apply for up to four eligible master’s programmes at at universityadmissions.se by 15 January 2021.
- Once you have submitted your application to the master’s programme(s) at universityadmissions.se, you will get a personal application number consisting of eight digits. Save the number as you will need it when applying to Global Professionals. Your application will be disqualified if you type in the wrong number in the online application form.
- Submit your receipt of the application fee and the supporting documents required by University Admissionsbefore the deadline on 1 February 2021. The fee is non-refundable.
Note: If you missed the deadlines or failed to follow the application procedure at University Admissions, you will not be eligible for a Global Professionals scholarship.
For More Information: