Application Deadline: Sunday, 7th July 2019 (23:59 GMT +0)
The Goethe-Institut/ Bureau de liaison Ouagadougou is setting up a writer’s residency for young African writers (less than 40 years) in 2019/20 in Burkina Faso.
This residency program aims to give a platform for free expression
– to writers who project the vision of (another) future in their writings,
– to writers who have restrictions of expression in their country of origin,
– to activist writers who express themselves in relation to social and/ or political transformations and challenges in their countries.
The residence is open to writers of all literary genres: novel, poetry, essay, storytelling, narration, theatre, comic, etc.
The production of a text is mandatory for the authors in residence. The texts produced will be published at the end of 2020, either in physical or digital version.
General conditions of the residency:
– 2 or 3 residencies of 4 weeks in Ouagadougou in 2019/20
– 3 authors per residency (1 from Burkina Faso, 2 from other African countries)
– Meetings and working sessions with professional writers from Burkina Faso and other African countries
– Public reading sessions
– Production of a text is mandatory
– Digital or physical publication in 2020
– Assumption of the costs for transportation (from home country to Burkina Faso) and visa
– Accommodation during the 4 weeks residency
– Grant of 1.500 Euro for the residency period (incl. per diem and private transport) – paid in place in two instalments.
Conditions to apply:
– Be under 40 years old
– Have at least one published text, either with a publisher or a newspaper,
on a blog or website or as a self-publication
– To be of African nationality by origin or by naturalization
– Have a writing project to develop during the residency
– Be available from November 2019
Application and document to provide:
– Letter of motivation specifying your author’s career, your personal situation,
– your expectations and the reasons for your application for the residency
– Description of your project to develop during the residency
– Curriculum Vitae
– Full biography (max. 500 words)
– PDF or links of texts already published
The selection process for the residency writers will be conducted by an external jury of three professional authors (Names to be confirmed).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, 7th July 2019 (23:59 GMT +0)
The applications shall be sent to the following addresses:
Carolin Christgau, Director Goethe-Institut:
Francois d’Assise Ouédraogo, Assistant Goethe-Institut: