The Milken-Motsepe Prize in Green Energy is incentivizing entrepreneurs who have ideas for solutions to advance progress toward UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 7: Ensuring access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
The aim of the Milken-Motsepe Prize in Green Energy is to reward innovators who expand access to reliable, affordable, and sustainable electricity in Africa. Energy access is a key driver for long-term economic growth and shared prosperity. The prize offers $2 million in prizes and additional benefits, including a $1 million grand prize for the winning team and $1 million in additional prize money. Participating teams will also receive access to networking, training, and other resources.
- Teams should make use of new technologies or adapt existing technologies in innovative ways to generate at least 60 kWh of off-grid electricity daily (24 hours) using green energy sources.
Many entrepreneurs lack the information and tools they need to bring their innovation to life. In addition to the chance to win cash prizes, the Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize program provides a rich set of opportunities for entrepreneurs, both during the competition and beyond.
Simply complete the free prize registration process and you will join an online community of other entrepreneurs. The prize portal will give you access to:
- TEAM MATCHMAKING
- RESOURCES FOR ENTREPRENEURS
- ONLINE TRAINING & HELP DESK
Semi-finalist teams will participate in a tuition-free, experiential learning program offered by Global Innovation Catalyst (GIC) in collaboration with Stanford Online. The GIC Innovation Execution (iX) program features the entire course content from Stanford’s Idea-to-Market entrepreneurship program. Teams will receive:
- STANFORD ONLINE CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION (UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF COURSE REQUIRMENTS)
- MENTORING FROM INDUSTRY EXPERTS
- PITCH AND FEEDBACK SESSIONS
Winning teams will join the Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize Program winners circle following prize completion, with access to:
- DATA ANALYSIS
- NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES
How to participate
Teams from anywhere in the world can register now and submit designs and business models. An independent panel of expert judges will select semi-finalist teams to receive $20,000 each to develop small-scale prototypes.
In the final round, teams will demonstrate their entries in field tests which will be evaluated for their ability to:
- Dramatically expand access to green, affordable, renewable energy
- Reduce the exposure of vulnerable communities in Africa to the impacts of climate change
- Stall and reverse greenhouse gas emissions
In addition to the prize money, teams will benefit from access to networking, training, and other resources.
For More Information: