Application Deadline: 15 May 2017
The TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize is one of the most prestigious honours given to scientists from the developing world. In 2017 the prize will be given for outstanding achievements in Geological Sciences. The winner receives USD100,000.
- Candidates must be nationals of a developing country and must have lived and worked in a developing country for the last 10 years.
- The prizes will only be awarded to individuals for scientific research of outstanding international merit carried out at institutions in developing countries. Individuals who have received the Nobel Prize, the Tokyo/Kyoto Prize, the Crafoord Prize or the Abel Prize are not eligible for the TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize.
- Jury members and previous winners of the Trieste Science Prize (also administered by TWAS) will not be eligible for the TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize
- The TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize will carry a monetary award of USD100,000 provided by Lenovo, as well as a medal and a certificate highlighting the recipient’s major contributions to science.
- The prize will be presented to the recipient at a special ceremony arranged by TWAS.
During the first four-year cycle (2013-2016), the prize subject focused on the basic sciences, with the specific subject area changing each year: physics and astronomy (2013), biological sciences (2014), mathematics (2015) and chemical sciences (2016). During the second four-year cycle (2017-2020) the prize subjects will be: Geological Sciences (2017), Engineering Sciences (2018), Agricultural Sciences (2019), Social Sciences (2020)
Nominations are invited from TWAS members, selected individuals, as well as from science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions. Nominations of women scientists are particularly encouraged. Self-nominations and nominations from jury members will not be accepted..
Evaluation. The evaluation and selection will be carried out by an authoritative international jury chaired by the TWAS president and including a representative from Lenovo.
For More Information: