Application Deadline: Wednesday 31 August 2016, 12pm (CET)
The Women Scholarship for Peace: Global South is an initiative coordinated by the UN Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) at Vienna in partnership with 26 organisations whose work contribute to disarmament, non-proliferation and development-related issues. A total of 140 scholarships are made available to facilitate participation of women from the Global South at the training courses.
- A Women Scholarship for Peace entails financial support for an early career woman from the Global South to take training courses about peace and development-related areas.
- A total of 140 scholarships are available, covering all costs of registration and participation at the training courses.
- Applications now open for: Asia/Pacific, Africa and Middle East (105 scholarships)
- Applications to be announced in 2017: Latin America and the Caribbean (35 scholarships)
- Early career women from various fields from the Global South.
- It is not required to have previous knowledge of the issues of disarmament, non-proliferation and development.
- Age : 22-32 at the time of applicatio
- Gender : Female
- Nationality : Nationals of the following countries and territories are eligible
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Côte D’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Swaziland, Togo, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Residency : Only candidates residing in their country of eligible nationality at the time of application will be considered.
- Language : The training courses will be conducted in English only.
- Qualifications : A university degree or equivalent qualifications (which could for example be constituted of a degree obtained with minimum 2 years of higher education, combined with relevant professional experience).
This on-line and in-person course introduces participants to key conceptual and practical aspects of disarmament, non-proliferation and development-related issues, such as:
- Weapons of mass destruction
- Conventional weapons
- Disarmament and development
- Gender and disarmament
- Peace and development-related technologies
- Induction courses about entities contributing to disarmament, non-proliferation and development, such as the IAEA, CTBTO, OPCW, etc.
The training courses are composed of:
- 1 month introductory on-line training (about 20 hours)
- 1 week in-person training (about 40 hours)
- 1 month advanced on-line training (about 20 hours)
- Optional: 1 final examination essay to obtain university credits (about 40 hours)
The on-line component includes: self-paced webinars with weekly sessions, reading material and exams, interaction with the instructor and the fellow students.
The Women Scholarship for Peace: Global South is an initiative coordinated by the UN Office for Disarmament Affaires at Vienna in partnership with 26 organisations whose work contribute to disarmament and non-proliferation and development-related issues. A total of 140 scholarships are made available to facilitate participation of women from the Global South at the training courses. A scholarship includes:
- Registration fee for the 2 months online and 1 week in person training course.
- Travel costs from the country of residence to the in-person training course location in economy class fare.
- Daily subsistence allowance for 1 week.
Certificate of completion: all participants successfully completing the on-line and in-person training courses will receive an official certificate of completion from UPEACE.
Voluntary diploma: eligible participants who successfully pass the additional voluntary examination will receive an official diploma from UPEACE, carrying university credits.
- a computer or mobile device, with audio
- reliable internet connection
- no special software is required
- travel to the in-person location for 5 working days to attend workshops and training sessions
For More Information: