Deadline: October 25 2013
Position Functional Title : Economic Commission for Africa/Special Initiatives
Division/ New Technologies and Innovation Section
Service/Section : New Technologies and Innovation Section
Estimated Start Date Effective Immediate
Duty Station Addis Ababa
Possibility of Extension? YES
Duration of need : Six months
ECA is the regional arm of the United Nations in Africa. Its mandate is to promote the social and economic
development of Africa.
ECA is inviting applications from qualified young African Professionals in the area of new technologies, including ICTs in the context of new technologies for Development. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Candidates applying for the position must be below 36 years of age at the time of the application. Candidates
currently enrolled in a Ph.D. programme or with an admission are also welcome to apply. Fellowship within ECA aims to provide practical, on-the job experience to the professionals as they build and develop their professional career at African development institutions, teaching and research think tanks or member States’ government institutions.
Fellows will also become familiar with the Commission’s broad programmes and services to member States and sub-regional bodies in addressing environment and sustainable development priorities in Africa.
1. It is open only to nationals of United Nations Economic Commission for Africa member states
2. Fellows will receive a monthly stipend of USD 3,000. Fellows will be provided with a return air ticket
between his/her country of residence and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
3. The fellowship may be extended subject to the availability of funds and based on satisfactory
4. Fellows cannot be employed on ECA or United Nations regular positions within six months of completion
of a fellowship period.
5. Fellows will have the opportunity to interact with Commission staff and gain exposure to the
Commission’s cutting edge research on a variety of leading issues in African development;
6. Fellows will work on a predefined project, designed to contribute to specific aspects of the work
programme of the receiving section, the New Technologies and Innovation Section (NTIS). Terms of
Reference for each fellowship assignment will be designed to guide the recruitment process.
Advanced university degree (Masters Degree or equivalent) in economics, sociology, management of technology, technology and innovation policy, natural sciences, engineering, statistics, economic anthropology, sociology or a related field, is required. A Ph.D. would be an advantage.
Experience in research/analytical work in technology and innovation for development-related areas in the context of Africa, either in the academia or in private, public or civil society organizations, is required. Experience in undertaking impact assessment, cost benefit analysis, or cost effectiveness analysis of policies, strategies and plans, is an advantage. Experience in working with African institutions at national, sub-regional or regional level is an advantage.
Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is
required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to apply
Clearly indicating your preferred area of consideration (in the cover/application letter), please submit
your application package ensuring it includes at a minimum:
(1) A signed copy of application letter;
(2) A signed copy of Personal History Profile (please download the P11 Form at http://www.uneca.org/pages/vacancies;
(3) A copy of your university degree(s) and Certification(s)
ALL SUBMISSIONS TO BE SENT TO:
Contact Name: Email Address: [email protected]
Subject Line: Ref. No. HRSS/13/09/1453