Application Deadline: May 03, 2023
Invitation of scholars preferably from Africa, Latin America, and South/ East) Asia for research on Sustainable Development Goals-related topics (for periods of 3–12 months).
Through the SDG fellowship program, tenured faculty (in the rank of professor) at the University of Bonn can invite international postdoctoral fellows for a joint research project on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as set forth by the United Nations in its Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development. The scientists should research and teach together with a professor from the University of Bonn for one or two semesters.
Special Regional Focus
The University of Bonn currently has a large number of collaborations with universities and research institutes in Africa, Asia and Latin America. As shown by the SDG index, implementing the Sustainable Development Goals poses considerable challenges for many countries in these regions. Based on the 17th Sustainable Development Goal, “Partnerships for the Goals,” researchers in the above-mentioned regions are given preference for the Bonn SDG Fellowships. The goal is to support talented researchers and build and strengthen networks through them.
The funding is for a period of at least 3 and not more than 12 months.
- Post-doctoral researchers (with foreign citizenship) invited by a professor of the University of Bonn for a joint research project.
- The fellow should have a long-term affiliation (research or teach) at a university or research institute in the above-mentioned regions beyond her/his fellowship and demonstrate proven expertise in an area of research from the thematic spectrum of the SDGs.
Please note that we cannot match and establish contact between interested fellows and faculty at the University of Bonn.
The funding can cover the following:
- A travel allowance (depending on country of origin)
- A scholarship of €3,000 per month (additional funds for family members: up to €300 for a spouse and €250 per child)
- A research expense allowance of up to €500 per month.
Insurance benefits are not included in the scholarship.
Project proposals are evaluated in two categories:
- Academic Quality and Mutual Benefit (50%): quality of the research project to be worked on during the stay in Bonn; work on a topic that contributes to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as set forth by the United Nations in its Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development; relevance of the research topic to developments in the region of origin; fellow’s contribution to academic life in Bonn (e.g. via public lectures, seminars or colloquiums); fellow’s integration into the host institute (place of work, integration into existing teaching and research activities)
- Strategic Relevance and Potential for Future Cooperation (50%): Intensity of the existing cooperation; plans for long-term research relationships between the fellow and the host institute in Bonn; connection to Bonn’s research profile ; how the research will be shared with broader academic communities
In case two proposal score the same, the category « Academic Quality and Mutual Benefit » will be given priority.
- Online form
- Project description (PDF of max. 8 pages), consisting of:
- An outline of the research project to be worked on during the fellow’s stay in Bonn; please write your proposal for a multidisciplinary audience
- Reasons for the fellow’s invitation and a description of his or her contribution to research and teaching at the University of Bonn, an outline of the activities through which the fellow will enrich university life at the University of Bonn during his or her stay there
- An overview of the collaboration between the applicant and the fellow so far
- An outline of the integration of the fellow into the host institute (place of work, participation in teaching and research activities)
- An outline of follow-on value: (a) plan for the outcome of the stay, (b) plan for growing the collaboration in the future.
- Fellow’s CV (PDF)
- A financing plan (please use the following Excel file, download here)
For funding starting at the earliest in January 2024, and no later than July 2024:
May 03, 2023
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the University of Bonn SDG Fellowships 2023