Application Deadline: 31 January 2023 (2359 CET)
9-week Research Program for Life Science Undergrads at one of Europe’s leading Research Centers.
The Vienna Biocenter Summer School provides a unique opportunity for approx. 20 undergraduate students to work side by side with leading researchers in a dynamic scientific environment.
The programme aims to attract talented students from around the world, creating a vibrant and diverse atmosphere. It is the perfect preparation for those students who are interested in graduate study in the life sciences arena. Applicants who are successful are provided with accommodation, a travel allowance and a stipend for the duration of the scholarship. The programme, starts on the last Friday in June and finishes on the the last Friday of August (or 31 August) each year.
The school is a collaboration between five of Europe’s leading research institutes: Research Center for Molecular Medicine (CEMM), Gregor Mendel Institute (GMI), Institute of Molecular Biotechnology (IMBA), Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP) and the Max Perutz Labs (Max Perutz Labs) and is generously sponsored by the Max Birnstiel Foundation.
- Applications are welcomed from students (BA Hons, Master, MSc) from all around the world who are undergraduates/master students, and have completed at least two years of university study in a Life Sciences related study.
- Selected fellows receive numerous benefits e.g. free student accommodation, a stipend of 1400 euros after tax for the nine-week programme, medical insurance and others.
- Scholars will be housed free of charge in student accommodation. The complex features modern rooms that are internet enabled, fully furnished, and have a shared bathroom and kitchen.
- OeAD – Guest House, Simmeringer Hauptstrasse | OeAD-WVGmbH
- Simmeringer Hauptstrasse 143, 1110 Vienna
- Free student accommodation
- Each student will be awarded a stipend of 1400 euros after tax for the nine-week programme
- Medical insurance is included in the contract for the nine weeks
- A free travel pass providing unlimited use of public transport within Vienna for the duration of the scholarship
- Reimbursement of travel costs to and from Vienna
- Numerous social events
Interested students should complete the online application form. When applying applicants will be asked to specify the names of three lab heads in their order of preference. While we cannot guarantee that an applicant will be assigned to one of these labs, we will make our best efforts to do so. You will also be asked to detail your educational and research experience.
- Call Opens 1 December closes 31 January (2359 CET)
- Results are published 15 March
- Summer School starts: 1 July (or last Friday in June)
- Summer School ends: 31 August (or last Friday in August)
For More Information: