Application Deadline: 4 September 2016
The Women and Gender Constituency is very pleased to invite you to participate in the ‘Gender Just Climate Solutions Awards’ initiative for the upcoming UN climate negotiations (COP22) in Marrakech! The Women and Gender Constituency of UNFCCC and other women, gender and human rights advocates have been actively pushing world leaders to ensure a just outcome, one which works for people and the planet, and which responds to injustice among and within countries in relation to climate impacts and resilience.
The WGC know the solutions to a more sustainable future already exist- and it’s time to showcase them far and wide, and demand change. After the Paris Agreement and as world leaders meet at COP22 this November, we must act to highlight the importance of gender equality, women rights and women’s contribution to climate solutions. The Gender Just Climate Solutions Award will make gender responsive and equitable solutions visible at the “COP of action”, the COP22 in Marrakech and central to just climate action all over the world!
WGC are asking you to describe your women & gender initiative for climate solutions, in one of three categories:
- Technical climate solutions with a women or gender perspective (e.g. in area of renewables, water-saving adaptation technologies etc.)
- Non-technical climate solutions with a women or gender perspective (e.g. in area of efficiency, consumption changes etc.)
- Transformation climate initiatives with a women or gender perspective (e.g. addressing governance, institutional change, planning processes etc.)
- The 3 award winners, each per category, receive 1000 Euros as award and will be showcased at the Gender Just Climate Solutions Exhibition at the UNFCCC negotiations in COP 22 in Marrakech, Morocco.
- Additionally, the winners will benefit from a 1-year-mentoring programme of the Women and Gender Constituency.
- 10 nominees per category will be published in the Gender Just Climate Solutions Publication.
- All types of activist, grassroots and women-led organizations and groups working on climate protection are encouraged to apply.
- Only non-governmental initiatives are eligible (local or national government initiatives cannot be considered).
- The activity/initiative should either already have been completed or should be in current operation.
- The initiative must fit within one of the 3 award categories (below).
The 2016 COP22 Morocco Climate Conference will decide on a critical set of actions to advance implementation of the Paris Agreement.
Three initiatives will receive the COP22 Gender Just Climate Solutions Award. The award comprises three different components for climate mitigation and adaptation:
1. Technical climate solutions
2. Non-technical climate solutions
3. Transformation climate initiatives
Deadline: Sunday, 4 September 2016; midnight CEST
- 4 September 2016: Deadline for submission
- 4 October 2016: Announcement of the 3 winners
- 7-18 November 2016: Showcasing solutions at the UNFCCC COP 22
For More Information: