Application Deadline: September 30th 2018
Following the success of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Edition, the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through its women, is launching the 4th Edition of SCIENCE BY WOMEN programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries. The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in health, agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change, as well as mathematics and economic science.
Women’s lives are significantly affected by the repercussions of uncontrolled development; however, social, structural and economic barriers limit their capacity to tackle the great challenges faced by the continent. The gender disparities in science and technology in both the public and private spheres affect Africa’s population as a whole. Narrowing this gap, which has severe consequences on the balanced and sustainable development of African countries, is vital to achieve long-term progress and equal growing.
The programme´s ultimate goal is to enable African women researchers to play a leading role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy through research that can be transferred into products, processes, services and technologies having impact on people´s lives.
To achieve this ambitious goal, FMxA collaborates with the Spanish Centres of Excellence, whose prestige is unanimously recognized throughout Spain and internationally, thereby ensuring excellence in scientific research in various fields. In this 4th edition our associated research centres are:
Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO)
Centre for Genomic Regulation
Barcelona Graduate School of Economics
Vall d´Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR)
Institute for Neuroscience (IN)
Kronikgune Research Center
Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO)
Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII)
Donostia International Physics Center
Material Physics Center – (MPC-CFM)
Principe Felipe Research Center (CIPF)
Repsol Technology Center
Any person who meets the following requirements can apply:
- Being a woman
- Having the nationality of an African country
- Having a PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience
- Current contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated above
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience
- Solid working knowledge of English
- Proven experience leading a research group
Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
- Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution
- Living allowance of 2.400 Euros (before taxes) per month to cover accommodation, personal expenses and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
Beneficiaries must devote themselves entirely to research at the assigned research centre and may not be beneficiaries of any other fellowship, grant, stipend or regular income during their research stay.
How to Apply:
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2018. Only applications submitted in English via the Science by Women microsite at www.mujeresporafrica.es will be accepted.
Candidates must submit the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae
- Fully filled form
- Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages).
Enquiries: [email protected]
For More Information: