Application Deadline: 30 September, 2016.
WFUNA supports and encourages youth engagement and participation in the United Nations Associations and United Nations Youth Associations around the world through the WFUNA Youth Network. With this initiative, WFUNA want to highlight the contributions of thousands of young people to the organization and share their achievements with a wider audience. In commemoration of International Youth Day 2016, WFUNA will launch a yearly feature, the WFUNA Young Leader of the Year.
Every year, WFUNA sets a theme and calls for nominations for young people from the WFUNA Youth Network working within that theme. From the nominations, the WFUNA Secretary-General and WFUNA Youth Advisory Council select three young leaders to be interviewed.
- After each nominee is interviewed, a final candidate will be selected as the WFUNA Young Leader of the Year.
Ideal WFUNA Young Leader of the Year:
A WFUNA Young Leader of the Year has to be able to inspire other youth looking to get involved in global issues. An ideal candidate shows:
- Inspirational Leadership
- Grassroots work on the theme of the year
- Integrity and commitment towards improving the lives of others
In addition, the WFUNA Young Leader of the Year is:
- Between 15-29 years old
- A member of a United Nations Association or United Nations Youth Association
The WFUNA Young Leader of 2016 will be focused on Sustainable Development Goal 16 aimed at promoting just, peaceful and inclusive societies. We encourage nominations of young people working to:
- Reduce all forms of violence
- End abuse, exploitation, trafficking and all forms of violence against and torture of children
- Promote the rule of law at the national and international levels and ensure equal access to justice for all
- Reduce corruption and bribery in all their forms
- Develop effective, accountable and transparent institutions at all levels
- Ensure responsive, inclusive, participatory and representative decision-making at all levels
- Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms
Apart from being able to state proudly that you have been selected as WFUNA Young Leader of 2016, you will:
- Support WFUNA’s work in the UN Working Group on Youth & Peacebuilding
- Participate in WFUNA’s awareness raising campaigns and advocacy efforts
- Possibility of engaging in panel discussions, workshops, training sessions facilitated by WFUNA on the implementation of Goal 16
- Free participation in WFUNA’s programs, such as the Human Rights Youth Training in Geneva, WIMUN 2017, etc.
Nomination Process Timeline
|August 12, 2016||Launch of WFUNA Young Leader of 2016 Nomination Process|
|September 30, 2016||Nomination Process closes|
|1-15 October, 2016||First selection of nominees|
|16-31 October, 2016||Interview with selected nominees|
|14 November 2016||WFUNA Young Leader of 2016 is announced|
For More Information: