Application Deadline: March 26 2013
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) is a parastatal of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources established by Decree 25 of 1973 for the purpose of developing and promoting petroleum technology and for creating the manpower needs of the oil and gas industry through research and training of Nigerians.
PTDF mission therefore is to train Nigerians to qualify as graduates, professionals, technicians and craftsmen in the field of engineering, geology, science and management in the oil and gas industry in Nigeria or abroad. We have a vision to serve not only as a vessel for the development of indigenous manpower and technology transfer/acquisition in the petroleum industry but also to make Nigeria a human resource centre for the West African sub-region.
To ensure a steadfast implementation of this mandate, PTDF is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for Overseas MSc and PhD Scholarships. Scholarships will be awarded for studies in the 2013/2014 academic session in the United Kingdom and France (Grenoble INP) and upgraded Universities in Nigeria for the 2013/2014 session. However, the Undergraduate level will be awarded for studies in Nigeria only on subject areas listed below.
Application Forms can be accessed online at APPLICATION WEBSITE using an ATM card or through purchase of a scratch card from designated main branches of First Bank of Nigeria Plc in all the States and FCT, upon payment of a NON-REFUNDABLE sum of N1,000 (One Thousand Naira Only). Instructions on how to access the form online is clearly stated on the backside of the cards.
Applicants may please note that only those who meet the requirements below shall be shortlisted and invited for Electronic Aptitude Test, in the case of Master’s, while oral interview will be conducted for PhD (full time) on dates to be announced later. Following the aptitude tests and interview, the best qualified candidates will be selected and awarded the PTDF Scholarship.
PTDF however wishes to inform applicants that the Overseas Scholarship Scheme was instituted as a short term measure to address identified skills gaps, pending the outcome of the various capacity building efforts being made to enable our domestic universities effectively handle the onerous task of grooming qualitative professionals in the oil and gas related disciplines.
With the numerous upgrade programmes executed by the Fund in some Federal Universities in Nigeria, emphasis has shifted to training Nigerians in-country. Consequently, only a limited number of candidates will be sponsored overseas and the rest in Nigerian Universities listed below.
LIST OF NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES:
– African University of Science and Technology – Petroleum Engineering
– Institute of Petroleum Studies, Port Harcourt
– University of Port Harcourt- Gas Eng
– University of Ibadan- Petroleum Eng
– University of Nigeria Nsukka- Geology
– University of Benin- Chemical Engineering
– University of Jos- Mining & Geology
– University of Maiduguri – Geology
– Ahmadu Bello University – Chemical Eng
– Usman Dan Fodio University – Industrial Chemistry
– University of Uyo – Chemical & Petroleum Eng
– Bayero University Kano – Electrical Eng
PLEASE NOTE THAT UNDERGRADUATE APPLICANTS MUST BE IN THEIR 2ND YEAR IN ANY OF THE LISTED NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES, WHILE THE POSSESSION OF A VALID UNIVERSITY ADMISSION LETTER IS COMPULSORY FOR ALL PHD APPLICANTS.
A. UNDER GRADUATE (Nigeria Only)
1. Possession of 5 credits in WAEC/SSCE/NECO including English Language and Mathematics
2. Must have concluded the 1st year of their study in any of the PTDF upgraded Federal Universities listed above.
3. Must have scored a minimum CGPA of 3.0 on scale of 5 or 4.5 on a scale of 7 in their 1st Year.
4. Must scan and attach a copy of their admission letter
5. Students admitted into the University through Direct Entry i.e. 200 level must have either of the following:
i. Minimum of Upper Credit at the Diploma level
ii. Minimum of 10 points in interim Joint Matriculation Board (I.J.M.B) examination.
iii. Minimum of 8 points at the Advanced Level General Certificate of Education (G.C.E).
B. MSc (Overseas)
1. A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) in an Oil and Gas related field OR a 2.2 with oil and gas industry experience
2. National Youth Service (NYSC) certificate
3. Applicants must be computer literate
4. Possession of O/level with Credit in English Language in WAEC/SSCE (C6) or NECO (C4);
5. Applicants must not be above 30 years of age
Applicants without credit in English language as in (4) above but possess any of the following may apply
i. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
ii. G.R.E ( Graduate Record Examination)
iii. GMAT –for Management related courses
iv. International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
1. Applicants must be in the academics in Nigerian Institutions, teaching an oil and gas related discipline;
2. Applicants must possess minimum of 2.2 in their first degree and a good second degree certificate;
3. Applicants must submit a research proposal relevant to the oil and gas industry (of not more than 5 pages) to include: Topic, introduction, objective, methodology and mode of data collection;
4. Applicants must include a valid admission letter;
5. Applicants must not be over 40 years of age; and;
6. Applicants must include their masters degree project
DOCUMENTS TO SCAN AND ATTACH TO THE APPLICATION FORM
Applicants are advised to scan copies of the following documents and attach to their online application forms:
1. First Degree Certificate or Statement of Result
2. NYSC discharge certificate
3. WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO Results or provide PIN numbers on the application forms to enable PTDF view the results on the relevant website.
4. Recent Passport Photograph
5. Local Government Identification Letter
6. Master’s Degree Certificate (PhD Applicants only)
7. Admission Letter (PhD Applicants)
LIST OF APPROVED COURSES FOR SPONSORSHIP
Scholarships will be offered for admission into the under listed courses (for overseas MSc). Candidates are advised, to apply for admission into Universities in the UK and France that offer these courses, while applying for the Petroleum Technology Development Fund Scholarship.
1. Asset Management (Engineering Asset Management)
2. Basin Evolution and Dynamics
3. Diving and Underwater Technology
4. Energy Systems Engineering
5. Environmental Engineering
6. Environmental Remote Sensing
7. Fire & Explosion Engineering
8. Health Safety and Environment
9. Marine Computational Fluid Dynamics
10. Maritime Operations
11. Occupational Health and Safety
12. Offshore and Ocean Technology
13. Offshore Engineering
14. Pipeline Engineering
15. Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
16. Refinery Design and Operations
17. Subsea Engineering
18. Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Option)
19. Welding Engineering
20. Design of Rotating Machines
21. Control Systems
22. Hydraulic Engineering (France)
23. Fluid Mechanics and Energetics (France)
B. PhD PRIORITY RESEARCH AREAS
The PhD research areas in addition to the afore-listed MSc program areas may also include any of the following related areas:
1. Environmental Studies and HSE (Health, Safety and Environment).
2. Marginal Fields Development.
3. Flow Assurance and Pipeline Engineering.
4. Geology and Petroleum Geology.
5. Civil and Marine Engineering.
6. Renewable Energy.
7. Reservoir Engineering/Production Technology.
8. Refining Technology.
9. Ship Building & Marine Technology.
PLEASE NOTE THAT:
i. RECIPIENTS OF A SIMILAR SCHOLARSHIP NEED NOT APPLY
ii. APPLICANTS WHO ALREADY POSSESS A MASTER’S DEGREE SHOULD NOT APPLY FOR MSC PROGRAMME, BUT ARE QUALIFIED TO APPLY FOR THE PHD.
iii. CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 26 MARCH 2013.