Submission Deadline: April 13th 2014
“WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT HEALTH PROBLEM FACING YOUTH IN THE WORLD TODAY, AND WHY?“
Submit a response of 500 words or less to [email protected] for a chance to attend the World Conference on Youth 2014 in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
The Akili Initiative, in partnership with the UN and several leading youth health organizations around the world, is seeking the perspective of youth voices from around the globe to ensure that these critical issues are heard in the post-2015 policymaking process.
In order to qualify for the essay competition, writers must:
- Be between ages 10-30
- Be able to attend the World Conference on Youth 2014, May 6th- 10th, if chosen as the winner
- Have a valid passport through the end of the conference
The following are suggested topics for essays (but you are certainly not limited to these):
- Mental illness
- Road traffic injury
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Interpersonal violence (gun violence, intimate partner violence, or other)
Essays will be evaluated on the following 5 criteria:
- Strength of argument for importance of youth health issue
- Use of evidence and specific examples
- Connection of issue to one’s personal story and work
- Quality of writing
- Essays should be written in English using Microsoft Word, in 12-pt font, and contain the following information:
- 1) Your name
- 2) Age and
- 3) Country.
- Document name should be saved as [Last Name]_Akili_Post2015.doc and emailed to[email protected] with subject,“Essay Competition,” by 11:59 PM EST on April 13th, 2014.
The top 10 finalists will be featured on the Akili website.
- The Grand Prize Essay Winner will be awarded a fully funded flight and accommodations to the World Conference on Youth in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where global leaders gather to discuss the post-2015 agenda.
- They will have the opportunity to take part in a crucial gathering of policy makers shaping the next era of health and development, and to meet other youth leaders from around the world.
- The winner will also report live from the conference through social media.
March 10th, 2014 Essay competition opens
April 13th Essays Due to [email protected]
April 15th Top 10 Essays selected and posted online
April 16th – April 30th Top 10 Essays open to the public for voting
April 16th – April 30th Top 10 Essays voted on by Expert Panel
May 1st Votes tallied, Essay Winner Announced!
May 6th- 9th, Colombo Sri Lanka Winner attends World Conference on Youth
For More Information: