Application Deadline: November 30, 2014
2015 Honjo International Scholarship Foundation Scholarships for Foreign Students to study in Japan is open to foreign students who will attend a graduate school at a Japanese university.
Number of Scholarships Available
15 to 20 students
The period of the scholarship is set in accordance with the shortest period of time required to complete the intended degree. The student, once awarded the scholarship will be able to choose the option (1), (2) or (3) a
(1) ¥200,000 per month for1 or 2 years
(2) ¥180,000 per month for 3 years
(3) ¥150,000 per month for 4 or 5 years
(To be considered for the scholarship, the student must satisfy ALL of the requirement criteria below.)
1. The student is registered to attend a graduate school in Japan and does not possess Japanese citizenship. His or her academic achievement as well as moral character is exemplary. He or she must be considered to be in need of financial aid due to extenuating financial circumstances.
2. The student must be registered to attend or have been accepted to attend a graduate school after April 1, 2015. He or she must be able to provide any of the following documentation: a certificate of enrollment, a letter of admission or a letter attesting to the fact that the student has been accepted.
3. To be eligible, students enrolled in a PhD Program must have been born after March 31, 1979. Those enrolled in a Master’s Program must have been born after March 31, 1984.
4. The student must be able to assure the committee that he or she will be able to secure employment in their home country after graduating from a graduate school. This does not require him or her to have employment guaranteed or to return his or her home country immediately after graduating the university, but he or she is expected to have strong will of working in his or her home country in the future.
5. The student must have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, and must be able to attend the events organized by the foundation and take part in the network as an alumni member.
6. The student must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews will be conducted in Japanese.
1. Applications are accepted between October 1, 2014 and November 30, 2014.
2. First selection: The first selection will be conducted with documents submitted by applicants. The results of the first selection will be announced by January 31, 2015 as the awarded candidates’ application numbers will be put on our website.
3. Second selection: Interviews will be conducted between February 1 and 15, 2015, in Tokyo. Its detailed schedule will be communicated at a later date directly to those who passed the first step of the selection process.
4. Scholarship awarded: Mid-March, 2015.
How to Apply
1. Please visit the website below and fill a form, and get your application number. Awarded candidates’ application numbers are announced on our website on January 31, 2015 so be advised to save the number you got. http://www.hisf.or.jp/english/index.html
2. Write down the application number on the application form and send the documents listed below to the Administration Office by post mail. To be sent by E-mail is not acceptable.
(1) Scholarship application form; make sure to attach your photo to the form as instructed.
(2) Your resume
(3) Personal information form
※Download the above forms (1)～(3) provided on the website. Fill them in Japanese by typed or hand-written.
(4) Academic transcript: Please provide the transcript i) from undergraduate course of the university where you graduated AND ii) any other courses that you are currently taking or have taken in the future.
For More Information: