Application Deadline: 15 May 2015
Apply to participate in a Pro Journo flagship program on obsession journalism and conference reporting with a focus on heterodox economics and the environment at the World Resources Forum 2015 in Davos, Switzerland.
You will work in a group of six internationally selected students interested in (heterodox) economics, environmental issues and journalism. Throughout the program you will receive professional journalism support from a Deputy Editor at The Economist Intelligence Unit based in New York and a former New York Times Journalist and current ABC News reporter based in Moscow.
This program comprises of a virtual training program from June until September 2015 and will finish with an onsite conference reporting program from the 9th until 16th of October 2015 in Davos, Switzerland. Your writing from the virtual training and conference coverage will be published on the Pro Journo website, partnering sites such as The Huffington Post and Triple Pundit, and compiled into a Pro Journo Digital Report.
- Enrolled in a higher education program (ie, Bachelors-level or above, preferably at the Masters or Doctoral level; professional degree programs welcome)
- Strong academic background (with ideally a concentration in environmental or economic issues)
- Proven interest in and critical understanding of environmental sustainability
- Proven interest or experience in digital journalism
- Excellent written and verbal English skills
- Professional obsession journalism training program
- Unique, intensive editorial one-on-one mentoring
- Coverage of food and accommodation at conference site
- Conference participation fee
- Travel reimbursement, up to 200 CHF
- June – October 2015 (virtual): Online training via webinars and one-on-one editing of two pre-conference articles about the following themes:
- Current state of economic analysis of environmental issues in the media
- Real-world feature stories on environmental issues
- Interviews with academic and advocacy experts on environmental economics
- 9-16th October 2015, Davos-Switzerland: Onsite training and conference reporting (arrival evening of 9th of October, departure morning of the 16th of October)
- In-depth interviews and Q&As with participants and organizers, coffee talk posts, etc.
- Post-conference wrap up (finishing of articles in the pipeline), usually 2-4 weeks after the conference
To apply, please send to email@example.com, the following 4 documents (write “WRF2015″ in the email subject header):
- A resume or CV (max 2 pages);
- Motivation letter or video describing how your background, experiences and passion would make you a match for our program (max 1 page or 5 minutes);
- Pretend you are pitching an environmental story to The Upshot (The NYT’s digital section focused on economic and political analysis of current events) (max 500 words), read this article on how to write a journalistic pitch;
- A short essay about your opinion on the current state of economic thinking(s) and the environment (max 500 words)
For More Information: