Application Deadline: December 1st 2014
where: The Hague Academy of International Law, Switzerland
What: six-week summer course at the Peace Palace in The Hague, the Netherlands.
When: 2end June to 31st July 2015
The United Nations International Law Fellowship Programme is organized by the Codification Division of the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs.
The UN International Law Fellowship Programme provides high-quality training by leading scholars and practitioners on a broad range of core subjects of international law. In addition, the interactive nature of the training allows the participants to share experiences and exchange ideas, which promotes greater understanding and cooperation on contemporary issues of international law.
The Fellowship Programme is intended to enable qualified professionals, in particular government officials and teachers of international law from developing countries and countries with emerging economies, to deepen their knowledge of international law and of the legal work of the United Nations and its associated bodies.
The Fellowship Programme accommodates up to 30 participants.
- To qualify for the Fellowship Programme, candidates should be between 24 and 45 years of age at the beginning of the Fellowship Programme.
- They must have a legal background with professional experience in the field of international law.
- The selected participants are required to submit a medical certificate of good health and to certify that they are able to attend the entire course period.
- The Fellowship Programme will accommodate up to 30 participants
- When selecting participants for the Fellowship Programme, due consideration is given to the candidates’ qualifications, to the scope of their professional duties, to the relevance of the training to their professional duties, geographical distribution and gender balance.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
- Due consideration will also be given to candidates from Member States which did not have a fellowship recipient attend the Fellowship Programme in the previous years
The Fellowship Programme consists of an annual six-week summer course at the Peace Palace in The Hague, the Netherlands. The participants attend lectures and seminars in international law organized by the Codification Division as well as the public international law session at The Hague Academy of International Law.
The lectures and seminars organized by the Codification Division are given by eminent scholars and practitioners in international law from different regions and legal systems.
The Fellowship Programme is conducted in English or French. The 2015 Programme will be conducted in English.
- Fellowships cover the fellowship recipient’s travel costs in economy class, accommodation, medical insurance, participation in the Fellowship Programme, the training material and the registration fee for The Hague Academy of International Law.
- In accordance with the policies and procedures governing the administration of United Nations fellowships, participants will also receive a stipend to cover other living expenses.
- Qualified candidates may also apply for self-funded positions. Self-funded participants bear all costs associated with their participation (travel, accommodation, living expenses and registration fee for The Hague Academy of International Law).
- Training materials are provided to self- funded participants free of charge.