Application Deadline: December 1st 2014
A John S. Knight Fellowship is a life-changing experience. The John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships at Stanford foster journalistic innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership.
Each year, JSK select 20 fellows from around the world and bring them together for 10 months at Stanford University, in the heart of Silicon Valley. Immersed in the creativity and entrepreneurial spirit of this region, they are inspired to let go of old assumptions and learn new ways of thinking and working.
- International applicants ideally have at least five years. But JSK also consider less experienced applicants with outstanding achievements.
- No college degree is required.
JSK considers applicants who fall into one or more of these categories:
- Journalists employed by a news organization or journalism freelancers
- Journalism entrepreneurs and innovators
- Journalism business and management executives
- Journalists :
Those who write or edit news, commentary, or editorials; critics and reviewers, photojournalists, video journalists, designers, multimedia journalists,editorial cartoonists and supervising editors, anchors, and producers. They may be working for newspapers, wire services, television or radio news departments, web sites, magazines that cover news, commentary or public affairs, news-related startups, or as freelance or independent journalists.
- Journalism entrepreneurs and innovators –Those whose work or ideas have the potential for great journalistic impact. This group includes consultants.
- Journalism business and management executives –
Those whose work influences editorial quality, such as publishers, general managers, and station managers.
Stipend: $65,000 (paid in 10 monthly installments, September through June)
Tuition: JSK pays this directly to Stanford for you.
Books, research and equipment supplement: $4,000 (may be used for laptops, digital cameras, recorders, software, books, research fees or payments, web design, fees for non-Stanford courses and workshops and travel expenses related to the fellow’s innovation proposal.)
Housing supplement (total for the year):
- $3,000 to single fellows, married fellows and those with domestic partners who are not bringing children.
- $10,000 for fellows with one child
- $13,000 for fellows with two or more children
Childcare supplement (total for the year):
- $12,000 for one child under age 5
- $9,000 for each additional child under age 5
- $6,000 for each child ages 5 to 17
Health insurance supplement: Ranges from approximately $4,300 for the year for single fellows to $10,250 for a couple with two or more children, which covers the cost of Stanford health insurance.
- $2,000 to $4,000 to fellows living in the United States, depending on family size
- $3,000 to $6,000 to fellows living outside the United States, depending on family size
Download the Application Guideline for the JSK Journalism Fellowship
Apply Now to Become a 2015/2016 JSK Journalism Fellowship
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the JSK Journalism Fellowship