Submission Deadline: June 12 2015
Conceived by M Restaurant Group and Shanghai International Literary Festival founder Michelle Garnaut and writer Pankaj Mishra, the M Literary Residency Program offers two residencies annually, one in Shanghai, China and one in India.
The residencies are each three months long, and candidates should apply for only one.
- Bangalore, India: A 10 week residency at Sangam House, in a rural setting near Bangalore, South India from late 2016 to early 2017. (Please note: Residency dates are set by Sangam House.)
- Shanghai, China: 8-10 week residency in Shanghai. The residency must be taken up before December 31st, 2016, and be completed in one continuous period.
- The residencies are open to all writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and dramatic prose.
- There are no nationality restrictions, however, applicants should be over 21 years old at the time of application and be writing in English.
- Unpublished authors and past applicants are also eligible.
The successful applicants will have transportation costs to and from the residencies covered by the M Residency. Applicants are responsible for their travel/medical insurance and visas.
- Bangalore: a single room and three meals a day will be provided. Accommodation is in a rural village, approximately 45km for Bangalore which some might consider isolated, so applicants should be seeking a period of quiet, sustained work.
- Shanghai: a studio-style apartment and a stipend of RMB6,000 towards the cost of meals will be provided.
- Accommodation is centrally located and in the thick of a noisy city. Whilst it is intended that the writer should be seeking a period of sustained work, it must be noted that this will probably not be happening in very quiet surroundings.
- The accommodation provided in Bangalore and Shanghai is suitable only for single occupancy. The residency intended for a single applicant only.
For More Information: