Application Deadline:15 November 2016 23.59 (GMT)
Commonwealth Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study in the UK are offered for citizens of developing Commonwealth countries. These scholarships are funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), with the aim of contributing to the UK’s international development aims and wider overseas interests, supporting excellence in UK higher education, and sustaining the principles of the Commonwealth.
You can apply for a Commonwealth Scholarship for the following levels of study:
- Master’s (one-year courses only)
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a Commonwealth citizen, refugee, or British protected person
- Be permanently resident in a developing Commonwealth country
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2017
- By October 2017, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree)
- Up to 36 months’ support towards completion of a three-year full-time doctoral postgraduate qualification at an eligible UK university.
COMMONWEALTH MASTER’S SCHOLARSHIPS
- 12 months’ support towards completion of a full-time taught postgraduate qualification at an eligible UK university.
- The CSC funds one-year Master’s programmes only, and does not fund MBAs.
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed)
- Approved tuition and examination fees
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,034 per month, or £1,268 per month for those at universities in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2015-2016 levels)
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable
- Warm clothing allowance
- Study travel grant towards the costs of study-related travel within the UK or overseas
- For PhD Scholars, fieldwork grant towards the cost of fieldwork undertaken overseas (usually the cost of one economy class return airfare to your fieldwork location)
- For PhD Scholars, paid mid-term visit (airfare) to your home country (unless you have claimed (or intend to claim) spouse and/or child allowances during your scholarship, or have received a return airfare to your home country for fieldwork)
If your scholarship is at least 18 months long, the following family allowances:
Spouse allowance of £222 per month if you and your spouse are living together at the same address in the UK (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship)
Child allowance of £222 per month for the first child, and £109 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your spouse and children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK
If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent (irrespective of the length of your scholarship), child allowance of £444 per month for the first child, and £109 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK
How to apply
You must apply to one of the following nominating bodies in the first instance – the CSC does not accept direct applications for these scholarships:
- National nominating agencies – this is the main route of application. Click here for a list of national nominating agencies, with contact details
- Selected universities/university bodies, which can nominate their own academic staff. Click here for a list of nominating universities/university bodies
- Selected non-governmental organisations and charitable bodies
Eligible African Coutries and Nominating Agencies:
Botswana – national nominating agency details
Cameroon – national nominating agency details
Ghana – national nominating agency details
Kenya – national nominating agency details
Lesotho – national nominating agency details
Malawi – national nominating agency details
Mauritius – national nominating agency details
Mozambique – national nominating agency details
Namibia – national nominating agency details
Nigeria – national nominating agency details
Rwanda – national nominating agency details
Seychelles – national nominating agency details
Sierra Leone – national nominating agency details
South Africa – national nominating agency details
Swaziland – national nominating agency details
Tanzania – national nominating agency details
Uganda – national nominating agency details
Zambia – national nominating agency details
All applications must be made through your nominating body in your home country. Each nominating body is responsible for its own selection process. You must check with your nominating body for their specific advice and rules for applying, and for their own closing date for applications.
You are advised to complete and submit your application as soon as possible, as the EAS will be very busy in the days leading up to the application deadline.
You must provide the following supporting documentation to be received by the CSC by 6 January 2017 in order for your application to be eligible for consideration:
- References from at least two individuals
- For PhD candidates only, supporting statement from a proposed supervisor in the UK from at least one of the institutions named on your application form
Please note that the CSC does not charge candidates to apply for any of its scholarships or fellowships through its Electronic Application System (EAS), and it does not charge organisations to nominate candidates.
Choosing a university/course
You may find the following resources useful when researching your choices of institution and course of study in the UK:
- Education UK (British Council) – British Council website, with guidance for international students and a course and institution search
- Postgrad.com – information for postgraduate students, with a course search
- Prospects – information on postgraduate study in the UK
- Research Excellent Framework 2014 results – results of a system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions
- Steps to Postgraduate Study – a guide to asking the right questions about taught postgraduate study in the UK
- UCAS Postgraduate – guidance on how to find and apply for a postgraduate course
- Unistats – the official website for comparing UK higher education course data
- UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) – advice for international students on choosing a course of study
The CSC is not responsible for the content of external sites
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the 2017 Commonwealth Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study in the UK
I have a lower second class (2:2) but i fit the entry requirements for an Msc course i am applying to in Middlesex university london and university of salford. Does this mean i am not eligible for a commonwealth schorlarship? I am from nigeria. Please i need a reply so i know if i am wasting my time or not
I was wondering whether daughter/son of a member of nominating agency could apply for commonwealth scholarship. If they can apply, how could the procedural fairness be ensured by the scholarship authority?
good morning I am from IVORY COAST and I want to subscribe to this schoolarship; but I saw the name of my country. please help me to subscribe beacause it my dream to study with you. Thanks.
[…] Visit the Official Webpage of the Commonwealth Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study in the UK […]
please i need the official webpage of Commonwealth Scholarships let me apply for Msc .thanks my mail is [email protected]
good morning I am from Guinea Conakry and I want to subscribe to this schoolarship; but I saw the name of my country. please help me to subscribe beacause it my dream to study with you. Thanks.
My email address is below of my comment : [email protected]
I am Mulatu Eticha Guma from Wollega, Ethiopia.I have BED degree in Geography major and Economics Minor Graduated from Bahir Dar University in 2009 G.C. I am asking you to get Master Degree program on the same field or related field of study from your University.Please refer this an attachment before deciding the chance.Thank u for this chance!