Application Deadline:January 9, 2018
The Hansen Summer Institute on Leadership and International Cooperation is an exciting international program funded by a generous grant from the Fred J. Hansen Foundation. Eight three-week Institutes took place in San Diego, California in July between 2007 and 2017. This program has provided a unique University-based leadership experience and program in international cooperation.
Again in July 2018, American men and women will join students from a variety of developing countries and regions of social strife to learn from experts and one another about conflict resolution and social entrepreneurship. To date, 194 Hansen Alumni from 61 countries, have remained in contact, provided a network of support, and worked together on a number of social ventures funded by the Hansen Foundation.
A primary goal of the program focuses on creating an international community of young scholars who will use their summer experience as a foundation for creating lasting friendships and acquiring common practical understanding of a more peaceful future. Fellows receive hands-on training in team-building, public speaking, negotiation, mediation and working together to solve international problems.
ALL APPLICANTS: Successful applicants must demonstrate leadership potential by having worked outside of class in community service, another public service, or in a non-governmental organization. A letter of reference from such a group or organization is required.
NON – US STUDENTS
- Upper division undergraduate with 2 years of college/university or graduate student with a professional interest in international relations, diplomacy, international economic development or related fields.
- Students must be between the ages of 20- 25 on July 1, 2018.
- Must have demonstrated leadership potential outside of the classroom in the community, nation or region.
- Have an academic adviser verify in writing the candidates English proficiency. (A verification request is automatically sent to your referee with the request for your letter of reference.)
- Have a valid international passport with US visa if necessary by the time the program begins.
- The Hansen Summer Institute is fully funded by the Fred J. Hansen Foundation. This includes international airfare, room and board and all programmatic costs. If selected the only cost to participants will be the fees incurred in obtaining a passport, a U.S. visa and spending money.
The approximate dates of the 2018 program are June 30 to July 21, 2018. Note that, if selected, you will travel to the United States a few days earlier than the start date. ALL FELLOWS MUST ATTEND THE ENTIRE PROGRAM. No participants will be allowed to arrive late or leave early.
For More Information: