Application Deadline: : 31st May 2016
Dakar, 22 to 27 August 2016
Interdisciplinarity in Area Studies: Basic and Applied Research
The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) and The Centre for African Studies Basel (CASB) call for applications for the 2nd CODESRIA/CASB Summer School in African Studies and Area Studies in Africa.
The Summer School sets out to stimulate and consolidate interdisciplinary approaches in research on Africa, but also on other regions of the world undertaken from within the African continent. It focuses on African Studies as an instance of area studies and seeks to identify themes that are theoretically, conceptually and methodologically relevant to the reflection on the intellectual challenge of Africa as an object of knowledge and its contribution to general scholarship while inquiring into the relevance of the findings to African approaches to other regions. The goals of the Summer School can be broadly defined in the following manner:
• The Summer School allows PhD and MA students, under the guidance of senior scholars, to engage critically with new theoretical, conceptual and methodological developments in African Studies and Area Studies in Africa in general and make them relevant to their work;
• The Summer School stimulates PhD students to reflect on the potential relevance of knowledge on Africa to the task of improving our theoretical, conceptual and methodological tools both for the disciplines as well as for interdisciplinary work;
• The Summer School fosters among PhD students a sense of belonging to a community of scholars in pursuit of knowledge and scholarship;
• The Summer School encourages junior scholars to work towards carving a space for African Studies or Area Studies in Africa in general in the broader field of scholarship and in this way helping to place Africa right at the centre of knowledge production.
• The Summer School serves to identify young scholars who wish to develop or finalise a PhD-project in the field of African Studies and Area Studies in general and to further support them in their pursuit of their career goals.
The Summer School is offered with the generous support of the Oumou Dilly Foundation (Switzerland) in cooperation with CODESRIA and aims at strengthening the links between the community of scholars organized in the CODESRIA community and scholars from the African Studies community in Switzerland.
- The summer school is open for PhD students enrolled at an Institute of Higher Education in any country.
- CODESRIA encourage the application of PhD students enrolled in African and Swiss institutions.
- Travel, accommodation and meals during the summer school will be provided for participants enrolled at institutions in Africa.
Application & Registration
- Participants will be selected on the strength and merits of:
1. One duly completed application form;
2. A cover letter;
3. A five-page application in which they explain:(a) what they are working on, and (b) how their work relates to the topic of the Summer School;
In addition, applications must be supported by a CV and two letters of recommendation.
Please submit your application as PDF to [email protected] (until 31 May 2016).
For More Information: