Application Deadline: January 17 2016, 11:59 PM Eastern Time (New York).
When: April 25 to 27, 2016
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is pleased to announce the launch of the call for applications for the Youth Event at the 7th Global Forum hosted by the government of Azerbaijan from April 25 to 27, 2016 in Baku.
Up to 150 youth from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds with outstanding track records in intercultural dialogue and youth work will be selected to participate in the Youth Event (April 25th), attend the Global Forum (April 26-27th) and thus contribute to the global narrative on social inclusion.
The Alliance of Civilizations is a United Nations political initiative of the Secretary-General. It was established in 2005 by former Secretary-General Kofi Annan, with the co-sponsorship of the Prime Ministers of Spain and Turkey. The primary mission of the UNAOC is to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action aimed at improving cross-cultural understanding and cooperation among countries, peoples and communities.
This unique international level opportunity for civic and intercultural participation is designed to give participants a chance to share their experiences, learn from each other, interact with key stakeholders and experts in their area of interest and network with a broader range of actors in the field of social inclusion and intercultural dialogue.
The Youth Event will also have an online component with the aim of maximizing the exchange of ideas among participants and preparation for the actual event. Its outcome will be a series of Narratives of Tomorrow, which articulate youth’s vision for inclusive societies, building on the positive contributions youth are already making in this regard
This is a call to youth from around the world wanting to build inclusive societies through understanding and respect among cultural and religious communities
- Are you between 18 and 35 years old? *
- Are you a member or a representative of a youth-led organization, network or initiative?
- Have you undertaken initiatives at the community or policy level that foster social inclusion, intercultural dialogue, and promote peace?
- Do you want to contribute to a global conversation on intercultural understanding and exchange innovative experiences?
- Do you want to meet other youth leaders from all over the world and develop joint actions?
- Would you like to take part in discussions that will help shape the United Nations’ agenda with regards to relations among different cultures?
If yes, apply now for a chance to be selected for a fully funded participation to the Youth Event and 7th UNAOC Global Forum in Baku, hosted by the Government of Azerbaijan.
Eligibility criteria (all requirements must be met in order to be considered eligible):
Youth participants should be between 18-35 years of age during the entire 7th UNAOC Global Forum (born on or between April 28, 1980 and April 25, 1998).
This means that, on the day of the Youth Event, the applicant will be at least 18 years old but not older than 35 years old; and on the last day of the Global Forum, the applicant will be at least 18 but not older than 35 years old
applicants must be members of (or affiliated with) non-government and non-for-profit youth-led organizations, networks, initiatives or movements (led by youth for the benefit of youth) and have the ability to consult with and reach a wider group of young people, audience or network.
Youth applicants must demonstrate commitment to diversity and pluralism, nonviolence, peaceful and inclusive societies
Command of English is sufficient to take part in the 7th UNAOC Global Forum. The applicant understands English very well; possesses intermediate to fluent levels of English, which allow her/him to participate to the conversation and input.
The applicant holds an international passport valid until at least November 1, 2016. (For a visa to be issued, a passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of entry into Azerbaijan).
The application is duly completed,
submitted by the deadline and contains all supporting documentation, requested as part of the call. Half-complete applications or applications filled in other languages than English will not be reviewed and considered
* Applicants selected to the 7th UNAOC Global Forum will be aged between 18-35 during the entire Forum. To be considered eligible, applicants must be born on or between April 28, 1980 and April 25, 1998.
During the Youth Event, participants will be invited to engage with the Forum theme and subthemes and bring youth voices to the Forum discussions. They will also work on the creation of Narratives of Tomorrow as the main outcome of the Youth Event. These narratives articulate participating youth’s vision and solutions for the world to “live together in inclusive societies” and chart the course for the way forward. They will also:
- Engage with UNAOC on the relevance of its activities for young people;
- Grow their network and expand their activities through interaction with other youth interested in intercultural dialogue and social inclusion;
- Gain greater access to and knowledge of the global youth movement for peace and its network.
- In order to launch discussions in advance, during March-April 2016 the organizers will invite all selected youth participants to engage in online consultations.
- Participants will join an interest group to discuss one Forum sub-theme of their choice and start brainstorming on the elements of the Narratives of tomorrow to be finalized on April 25.
- Online interactions will also help youth to virtually introduce themselves, learn more about their backgrounds, interests and their organization’s activities, thus maximizing the benefits of this event.
Timeline and logistics
- December 7, 2015- January 17, 2016: Call for Applications to the Youth Event
- By February 15, 2016: Review and selection of participants
- By March 11, 2016: Issuance of letters of invitation and travel itineraries
- March-April 2016: Online consultations with youth participants
- April 24, 2016: Arrival of participants in Baku
- April 25, 2016: Youth Event
- April 26, 2016: First Day of the 7th UNAOC Global Forum
- April 27, 2016: Second / Final Day of the 7th UNAOC Global Forum
- April 27-28, 2016: Departure of participants
Costs covered by the organizers
- As an official policy, the organizers of the 7th UNAOC Global Forum do not require payment of any participation fee.
- All selected youth participants will have access to the Youth Event and Global Forum and will be provided with round-trip international ticket (economy class) to Baku; 4 days accommodation (in shared accommodation [double-rooms], with a participant from the same gender, from April 24 through April 28, A.M. hours).
- Meals and coffee breaks will be provided during the official program of the Youth Event and the 7th UNAOC Global Forum, as well as shuttles to/from the airport in Baku.
Costs covered by the participants
- Youth participants will be responsible for their transportation to and from the airport in their country of residence, visa costs (application fees, pictures, travel to consulate/embassy, courier service, etc.), medical insurance for their stay in Azerbaijan, as well as any incidental expenses, souvenirs, equipment, etc., and meals incurred outside of the official portions of the Global Forum.
For More Information: