Application Deadline: 25th September 2020 by 23:00 (GMT+3)
The advent of COVID-19 has exacerbated challenges in Africa’s education system and reinforces the need for fit for context, innovative and scalable solutions in education. DOTSS provides an approach for reorienting Africa’s education and training systems to meet the knowledge, competencies, skills, innovation and creativity required to nurture African core values and promote sustainable development at the national, sub-regional and continental levels as espoused in CESA.
There is the need to promote innovation in the entire education and skills development ecosystems, taking advantage of the digital revolution, in order to increase its impact and also ensure that disadvantaged groups are not left out. As the Continental Education Strategy for Africa (CESA 16-25) states, ICT is an essential tool for ensuring universal access, quality of provision, and empowerment of school graduates for meaningful personal lives, and contribution to social economic development.
Since its inception in 2018, the Innovating Education in Africa Expo has continued to gather momentum and established itself as the leading Pan-African event promoting the adoption of Education Innovations in Africa. In light of the above, the African Union Commission (AUC) and Partners across Africa will hold the third edition of Innovating Education in Africa Expo as a virtual series of events and activities from October 2020 – June 2021.
- Innovations being sought
The innovation should either be in the phase of piloting or implementation in Africa with some demonstrated success with focus on one or more aspects of the education delivery system including data and analytics, teaching and learning management software, teaching and learning materials, connectivity of schools, assessment, education hardware and infrastructure, and school administration. Additionally, the innovation should satisfy at least one of the following:
- Enable access to education and improved quality of delivery for those who are unable to access existing services.
- Demonstrate a scalable, sustainable business and financing model.
- Provide services to consumers at lower prices than existing alternatives.
- Eligibility Criteria
Applications are accepted from entrepreneurs aged between 18-35 years. Organisations should meet the following criteria:
- Implementing an education innovation in Africa in line with the “background” and “innovations being sought” defined in the Call for Submissions.
- Should have been a legally registered and operational for not less than 1 year.
- Should not have previously awarded in the top 10 category of the Innovating Education in Africa Expo 2018 and 2019.
- Application Procedure
Submissions should be made online in English or French at www.edu-au.org/submit-innovation. The following information should be submitted:
- Describe the need which the innovation targets (100 words max).
- Describe the business model for implementing the innovation (250 words max).
- Provide information on the impact or demonstrated success of your innovation (100 words max).
- Explain how the innovation can be upscaled sustainably (100 words max).
- Video which shows your innovation in action.
- Profile of the organisation’s leader or leadership team, as applicable.
- Business registration certificate.
Deadline for submissions is 25th September 2020 by 23:00 (GMT+3). Please send any enquiries to [email protected].
- Benefits for successful applicants
Successful applicants will benefit from one or more of the following:
- Receive cash grants up to 100,000 USD.
- Innovation promoted to policy makers, investors, and practitioners during the Virtual Exhibition Day.
- Participate in entrepreneurship training, business incubation and acceleration program towards strengthening business model and scaling up of innovations.
- Innovation published in the Africa Education Innovations Handbook 2020.
- Certificate of Recognition from the African Union Commission.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Innovating Education in Africa Expo 2020