Application Deadline: August 1, 2016
Each year, the East Africa Fellows Program brings together 20 emerging leaders from different regions, sectors, and socio-economic backgrounds in East Africa.
Acumen Regional Fellows Program is a one-year leadership development program designed to build the next generation of social leaders with the audacity to transform society and create a better, more inclusive world.
The program equips 20 extraordinary individuals from across East Africa with the knowledge, support system and practical wisdom to unlock their full potential and drive positive change in society. Over the course of a year, Fellows remain in their jobs while taking part in five week-long seminars, where they receive the tools, training and space to innovate new ideas, accelerate their impact, build a strong network of social leaders from across their region and around the world.
- Innovators who either started an organization or enterprise, or who are driving change within an existing organization or company.
- Men and women of all ages and education levels who are able to participate in a program conducted in English.
- East Africans who demonstrate a commitment and concrete connection to the region.
- Leaders with strong personal integrity, unrelenting perseverance and moral imagination.
- Committed individuals ready to undergo an intensive yearlong personal transformation and leadership journey.
Ideal applicants will meet the following criteria:
- Currently engaged in social change work. Social change work refers to any project, initiative, program or organization that furthers Acumen’s mission of changing the way the world tackles poverty.
- Entrepreneurs who started their own organizations or leaders influencing change within an existing organization. We are looking for an entrepreneurial attitude, mind-set and approach – people who don’t accept the status quo.
- Can be any age or education level, but must be able to fully participate in a program that is conducted in English.
- East Africa Fellows must be from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia or South Sudan.
- Must demonstrate strong personal integrity, unrelenting perseverance, and moral imagination.
- Must be ready and willing to undergo an intensive year-long personal transformation and leadership journey.
Regional Fellows Training
Through our five in-person seminars and virtual content in-between seminars, twenty Fellows build and test new leadership skills within their cohort. This cohort-based learning model creates deep bonds of trust and fellowship, relationships that persist long beyond the first year and that Fellows utilize to create greater impact. Fellows equipped with the knowledge, support systems and skills to challenge the status quo, work across lines of difference and mobilize their communities. These fully-sponsored, one-year programs are designed to improve participants’ capacity to innovate and drive change while allowing them to remain in their full-time jobs.
The Application Process
The online application consists of:
- Background information
- Short & long answer questions
The Selection Process
The selection process for this program is very rigorous and highly competitive. Here is a general timeline of the process:
- Applications open: June 13, 2016
- Applications close: August 1, 2016
- Telephone Interviews: August/September, 2016
- In-Person Interviews: October 1, 2016 in Nairobi
- Final Selection: December 2016
For More Information: