Application Deadline:30th June 2021
This initiative is aimed at recognizing and celebrating African women and girls in making a difference through demonstrated exceptional leadership at the grassroot or executive positions. The book aims to create a space for women to share their experiences, triumphs and to send a message of encouragement to the next generation of African women to claim their rightful place in history and create the ‘Africa they want’. Each woman who is featured in this book will have an opportunity to write her own story or upon request, an AU-UN team will assist in the story telling process for women who seek support.
This initiative makes recogition of the continuous struggle for women across the African continent spanning several centuries, in the pursuit of parity and equal representation of women in leadership position. In recent years, progress has been recorded as African governments, public and private institutions implement gender-responsive actions and as African women and girls through resilience and commitment, advance their quest to be break the barriers and glass ceiling.
The objectives of the book is among others;
- Honor the leadership and achievements of African Women and girls in various sectors and share their leadership experience.
- Document the stories and achievements of women leaders and inspire African girls and women to see beyond the existing structural barriers and assure them that they can thrive in their chosen field.
- Provide the evidence that Africa can prosper, be peaceful and integrated if it leverages on the potential of its women and girls. In so doing,
- Mobilize stakeholders to create an enabling environment and support female leaders and their initiatives.
This initiative is led by the African Union Commission, Women, Gender and Youth Directorate, in collaboration with the United Nations through its agencies; the UN Women, UNFPA and UNHCR. It is also aligned with the International Women’s Day 2021 celebrations held under the theme “women’s full and effective participation and decision-making in public life, as well as the elimination of violence, for achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls”.
Nominees must be female citizens of African Union Member States. There is no age limit, the book will document the achievements of young and seasoned leaders across generations.
Nominees will be women and girl leaders from Africa that have demonstrated dedication, commitment and passion to their cause and made an impact in the following fields;
- Finance, social mobilization, Governance, law, Peace and Security and Human Rights
- Agriculture, Food Security and Nutrition, and Entrepreneurship
- Creative industries (arts, culture, heritage, literature) and Sports
- Health in general and women’s and adolescent health specifically.
- Humanitarian action, philanthropy,
- Gender issues: gender equality and empowerment of women, GBV, SGBV and protection of women and girls
- Social sciences, humanities
- Science, Technology and Innovation, Engineering and Mathematics
- Environment and climate change
- Infrastructure and Energy
Before you submit your nomination please read the nomination criteria carefully.
Nominations must be submitted by filling and emailing a completed form.
- Self-nominations are welcome. Moreover, anyone can nominate an African woman, young or seasoned, who has shown stellar leadership in the above fields.
- Nomination of women and girl leaders who have made a difference at grassroots level is encouraged.
- Nominations of female leaders living in rural areas, refugees and displaced women as well as, women living with disabilities are encouraged.
- Nominations will be adjudicated with consideration for geographic balance to ensure fair representation of all regions of Africa.
- Nominations can be submitted in English, Arabic, Portuguese and French.
- Nominations should be accurate, comprehensive and complete to inform the evaluation of the nomination.
- Nominees should send the most recent photo that will be published in the compendium, Nominees personal information including email and phone number should be indicated in the submission temple.
Nominations maybe declined due to the following:
- Nominations which do not focus on specific contributions, but rather list lifetime achievements;
- Dossiers are not complete and /or all supporting document ( /s) are not included or not attached;
- If their Member State is under AU sanctions in conformity with a decision taken by the AU relevant policy organ;
- If they are employees of any an AU organ or employees of the Regional Economic Communities, UN System.
- If the submission is not clear articulation of the achievement and impact.
The Nomination call will be open till Wednesday, 30th June 2021 17:00 EAT. Due to the expected large number of applications, only successful nominees will be contacted after the selection process is finalized.
For More Information: