Application Deadline: July 15th 2016
The African Union Department for Political Affairs, under its African Governance Architecture secretariat, is organizing four regional youth consultation forums across the continent under the theme of “African Union’s Year of Human Rights with a specific focus on the Rights of Women.” These forums aim to provide a collaborative, open and inclusive space for young people to offer input into the African Union’s 10 Year Human Rights Strategy.
- Young women and men from North, West, Southern, Central and East Africa will come together to discuss various ways to contribute to the promotion of human rights on the continent.
- Each of the regional consultations will focus on four broad thematic areas, which will be discussed in groups. The themes include:
• Young Women’s Rights
• Governance, Peace, Security and Migration
• Inclusion, Diversity Management and Popular Participation
• Employment and Mobility
Young people from across Africa will come together to discuss ways to contribute to human rights, women’s rights, governance, peace and security.
The four regional consultations will be organized to mobilize youth in North, Western, Southern, Central and Eastern Africa. The consultations will be conducted respectively from August 3-23, 2016 in Tunis-Tunisia, Kampala-Uganda, Windhoek-Namibia, and Accra-Ghana.
- North Region – Tunis, Tunisia (Aug. 3-4)
Central & East Region – Kampala, Uganda (Aug. 8-9)
Southern Region – Windhoek, Namibia (Aug. 19-20)
West Region – Accra, Ghana (Aug. 22-23)
Each of the four regional consultations will be focused on four broad thematic areas. The proposed thematic areas which will be discussed in groups in each of the consultations include:
1. Young Women’s Rights
2. Governance, Peace, Security and Migration
3. Inclusion, Diversity Management and Popular Participation
4. Employment and Mobility
One continental consultation will be organized based upon the outcomes of the four regional consultations. The continental consultation will aim at gathering youth from the continent for validation of the outcomes from the regional consultations in addition it will be a capacity building programme of the African human rights system. Date of the continental consultation will be notified in due course.
The overall goal of the regional youth consultations is to provide a collaborative, open and inclusive space for young people to provide input into the African Union 10 Year Human Rights Strategy, which is envisaged as a major outcome of Project 2016.
For More Information: