Application Deadline: 11:59 PM (Nairobi Time) on or before February 10, 2017.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is inviting CARTA fellows from the Eastern Africa region to apply for PhD scholarships. The long-term impacts of the scholarships are: strengthening teaching and research at higher education institutions in Eastern Africa region, solving development issues in the region and strengthening universities, research institutes and research networks in Eastern Africa, and contributing to the establishment of regional networks between these institutions.
This is in line with CARTA’s objective of producing a critical mass of high-quality graduates trained to address complex issues surrounding health and development in Africa, retain them in the region, and provide them a vibrant intellectual environment as well as viable and challenging research and growth opportunities. Funding is generally granted for a period of 3 years.
- Applicants must be CARTA fellows in the Eastern Africa region.
- Applications are only open to those who are in the very early stages of the PhD programme.
- They must demonstrate strong commitment to research capacity building at their institutions as well as potential for research leadership.
- The last degree of the applicant must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- The applicant must be a citizen of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Candidates will be selected on the basis of their previous research and academic achievements and the quality of their research proposals. The PhD proposals must demonstrate relevance to development.
What the scholarships will cover
The funding includes:
- Stipends covering the cost of living including accommodation
- Fees including cost of research and academic monitoring, tutorial and other support, university registration and tuition fees
- Health insurance
- Optional research stay in German for up to six months
How to apply
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- A 10-15 page PhD proposal related to health and development with a detailed work plan
- Abstract of the proposal on one page
- Signed CV (please use Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Certified copies of all university degrees and transcripts
- Admission letter or an official letter assuring admission. The letter should include a fee structure
- Recommendation letter by head of department indicating that you are a staff member and how you will be integrated into the staff development agenda of the university.
The email should have on the subject line: Application for 2017 DAAD Scholarship.
CARTA will communicate to pre-selected candidates to log into the DAAD portal https://portal.daad.de/irj/portal and register themselves and submit an application.
All inquiries related to this call should be addressed to:
CARTA Program Manager
P.O Box: 10787-00100
Office Tel: +254 20 400 1000
Fax: +254 20 400 1101
Email: [email protected]
For More Information: