Application Deadline: August 25th 2017
The project “Schreiben über Wissenschaft” is a cooperation between the Goethe -Institut and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The goal of the project is to foster the relationship between the sciences on the one side and journalism on the other in order to support the transfer of knowledge to a broader public and to enhance the general response to the achievements of researchers from all disciplines.
The Workshop In the realm of this project, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the Goethe-Institut Cairo are organizing a three-day workshop for ten science journalists or journalists interested in writing about scientific topics. During the first two days of the workshop, the participants will learn more about the methods of science journalism as well as innovative methods in the field, about how to make science attractive to the greater public and how to interact and attract the younger generation in particular.
At the same time, they will have the possibility to exchange experiences with science journalists from Germany. On the third day, the workshop will be held together
ten scientists from different academic fields.
- The workshop will be held in English.
- Transportation from the Goethe-Institut in Doqqi, Cairo, to the place of the workshop and return will be organized and provided by the Goethe-Institut.
- The Goethe-Institut will also cover the costs for the full-board accommodation.
- For the participation in the workshop and the writing and publishing of a scientific article, each participant will receive a small allowance. The participant will receive the all owanceafter the submission of the article.
- Science journalists or journalists interested in writing about scientific topics who fulfil the following criteria:
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working as a journalist
- Currently working as a journalist-Regularly publishing articles (online or in journals/newspapers)
- Very good English skills
- Strong interest in writing about scientific topics
- The workshop will take place from September 30-October 02, 2017 outside of Cairo withthe last day in Cairo. Transport and accommodation will be provided by the Goethe-Institut.
On the basis of the encounters with the scientists during the last day of the workshop, the
journalists will produce a scientific article which they will publish. In a competition, the best
article will be awarded during the final conference in November 2017
For More Information: