Application Deadline: Sunday 15 September 2019.
Joel Joffe LLB Scholarships for study at the University of the Western Cape and The University of Fort Hare in 2020
Joel Joffe LLB Scholarships invite applications from current 3rd year students (going into their 4th year in 2020) studying for an LLB at the University of the Western Cape or the University of Fort Hare.
These scholarships are offered in memory of Joel Joffe, who was Nelson Mandela’s lawyer in the 1963/4 Rivonia Trial. He played a crucial role in the struggle for democracy in South Africa. The Trust continues to build on his legacy, inspiring others to do as much as possible to realise human rights and reduce poverty.
Applicants must be:
- a national of, and normally resident in, South Africa
- in possession of a strong academic record and extra-curricular involvement
- a current undergraduate 3rd year student of Law at the University of the Western Cape or the University of Fort Hare
Please apply only if you are eligible and meet ALL of the above criteria.
The Joel Joffe scholarship includes:
- R40,000 towards the last year of your LLB study
- a paid internship at Equal Education Law Centre or Legal Resources Centre after the completion of LLB study
- an opportunity to enhance your academic and leadership skills through organised events
In 2020, the value of the scholarship package is R40,000. Funding will be provided for up to a maximum of two years. We support both full and part-time study and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning.
We also organise an annual conference for current scholars, and hold several smaller events throughout the year. Scholarship holders are expected to participate in these activities and to become part of and contribute to our network.
How to apply
We are now accepting applications. Please download and read the guidelines carefully before applying.
You can apply by sending your completed application form to [email protected]. Please download and save the copy of the applications form on to your computer before you fill it in.
The deadline for applying is Sunday 15 September 2019.
For More Information