Application Deadline:April 18, 2020
The MEST Africa Challenge is the African tech startup pitch competition for early-stage companies based in Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Côte d’Ivoire, Rwanda, Senegal, Ethiopia or Tanzania.
Tech Entrepreneurs from Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Côte d’Ivoire, Senegal, Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Rwanda are invited to pitch their startups for a chance to win over $50,000 in equity investment and the opportunity to join MEST’s incubator network.
The top 5 finalists will also have the opportunity to showcase their companies at the Mest Africa Summit to network and interact with investors, CEOs, ecosystem players, panelists and, conference attendees.
Winners of each country’s semi-final competition will compete in the Challenge finals at the MEST Africa Summit 2020. Finalists will compete on a global stage in front of entrepreneurs, investors, corporate partners and ecosystem players for the chance to win $50k in investment from the Meltwater Foundation, and the opportunity to join the MEST Africa incubator community.
- Pre-seed or seed-stage (have raised $100k total or less cumulatively since inception)
- Currently generating revenue
- Can demonstrate traction in one or more of the nine MAC Markets (Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Côte d’Ivoire, Senegal, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Rwanda)
- Has been in operations for 2 years or less
- Tech-enabled (software company)
- Industry agnostic
- Any business model (B2B, B2C, B2B2C, B2G etc…)
- *Francophone applicants must pitch in English
Applications for this year’s Challenge are open from March 16 to April 18, 2020, and the top 10 startups will pitch at MEST Incubator locations or local partners offices on the following dates (exact dates subject to change if the Challenge moves to online):
- Lagos, Nigeria: Friday, May 1st
- Johannesburg, South Africa: Monday, May 4th
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Friday, May 8th
- Accra, Ghana: Monday, May 11th
- Nairobi, Kenya: Monday, May 11th
- Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire: Tuesday, May 12th
- Kigali, Rwanda: Thursday, May 14th
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: Monday, May 18th
- Dakar, Senegal: Friday, May 22nd
For More Information: