Submission Deadline: August 14th 2013
The One young World hereby invites applications for the Do Better Challenge Essay Competition 2013.
Confirmed delegates and Returning Ambassadors can now submit their entries for One Young World’s annual essay competition, the Do Better Challenge. The winner will present a version of their essay as a Delegate Speaker in Johannesburg, receive a free Returning Ambassador place at the 2014 Summit in Dublin and have their essay published in a major news outlet.
Entrants must compose an open letter to a CEO or head of state of their choice that identifies an area in which they are failing and suggests a solution for them to address this.
The letter should be 1500 to 1800 words long and focus on an issue related to one of the six main themes that will be discussed during this year’s One Young World Summit. These themes are: Education, Global Business, Human Rights, Leadership & Government, Sustainable Development and Youth Unemployment.
The submissions will be judged by a panel of One Young World Counsellors.
This opportunity is open only to confirmed delegates and Returning Ambassadors. Sponsors are encouraged to name their delegates as soon as possible so that they can take part in the competition
Eligibility for entry:
Applicants must be a One Young World 2013 confirmed Delegate or Returning Ambassador.
You must focus your essay to one of the following topics:
- Global Business
- Human Rights
- Leadership & Government
- Sustainable Development
- Youth Unemployment
All essays must be submitted in English.
The essay will be written as a letter to a CEO or Head of State of your choice. You will tell them about something they are doing wrong and suggest a concrete way for them to address this. You must attach a cover page including the title of essay; full name; country representing; sponsor and a synopsis of the essay.
You should write 1500 – 1800 words. Cover page, references, bibliography, appendix and tables (if needed) are not included in your word count. There is a 10% score penalty for not adhering to word count specification.
- A place as a Delegate Speaker at One Young World which offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to take the stage and share your views with the Summit
- A free Returning Ambassador spot at the One Young World 2014 Dublin Summit
- The essay or an adaptation will appear in a mainstream publication
Shortlisted essays will be read by One Young World Counsellors and Co-founders.
Essay Criteria for Assessment
Appropriate Selection of Problem
- Relevance to the plenary
- Justification for the choice
Knowledge and Understanding of Problem
- Can talk in detail about the different facets of the problem
- Views the problem from more than one perspective and appreciates its subtleties
- Persuades the reader that this is indeed a problem
Appropriate Selection of Solution
- Relevance to the problem
- Relevance to the plenary
Reasoning behind the Solution
- Your essay should be persuasive
- Details why this is a solution to the problem
- Details why this solution will create a positive change to wider society
Essays must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight (BST) on August 14th 2013.