Application Deadline: April 5th 2019
NIW.Startups is a platform for discovering and showcasing the new most promising startups in the region. It also seeks to attract the right investors to initiate funding conversations with the startups. NIW.Startups is part of the annual Nairobi Innovation Week organized by stakeholders in the regional innovation ecosystem. In 2019, Nairobi Innovation Week will be held on 10th – 14th June. During that week 30 pitches will be staged and the 6 most promising of 2019 startups will be feted.
A startup qualifies for the NIW.Startups challenge if they meet ALL the criteria items below
- Have at least one founder who is a citizen of Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia, South Sudan, or Burundi.
- Have its primary customer segments in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda Ethiopia, South Sudan or Burundi.
- Have at least two team members linked to their online startup profile.
Eligible startups are expected to be at various growth levels. For purposes of determining the 6 most promising startups, 3 each will be selected from the two growth stage categories characterised in Growth Stage and Launch Stage startups.
For purposes of being among the 30 pitches, organizers of the sectoral / thematic tracks will chose the 6 startups ranked highest by judges that demonstrate relevance to the sector from the information in their online profile.
The select thematic areas of the 2019 NIW.Startups are:
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Health and Life Sciences
- Manufacturing and Processing
- Innovative Housing
- Cleantech and Renewable Energy
- Education and Employability
- Governance and Civic Tech
- Transport and Logistics
- eCommerce and Business Services
- Gaming and Entertainment
- Hardware Innovations.
For More Information: