Submission Deadline: April 30 2015
The Nikon International Small World Competition first began in 1975 as a means to recognize and applaud the efforts of those involved with photography through the light microscope. Since then, Small World has become a leading showcase for photomicrographers from the widest array of scientific disciplines.
In 2011, Nikon announced that it would begin accepting movies taken through the microscope as a new category in the 37th annual Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition. The introduction of this new category, titled Small World in Motion, encompasses any movie or digital time-lapse photography taken through the microscope and adds a new, distinct discipline to the competition. The movies are judged and honored as a separate category in the competition, complete with prizes for first, second and third places.
The subject matter is unrestricted and any type of light microscopy technique is acceptable, including phase contrast, polarized light, fluorescence, interference contrast, darkfield, confocal, deconvolution, and mixed techniques. Entries submitted to Nikon are then judged by an independent panel of experts who are recognized authorities in the area of photomicrography and photography. These entries are judged on the basis of originality, informational content, technical proficiency and visual impact.
Contestants may enter the Competition by uploading video files directly to our Small World servers at MicroscopyU.com. Before you begin, read the Contest Rules and prepare your movies for uploading according to the instructions.
Winners will receive one of three prizes, sorted according to rank in the competition. First prize is $3,000 toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
- Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible, with the exception of employees of Nikon, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes or photographic equipment.
- Movies must be captured using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of compound or stereoscopic microscopes.
- Any type of specimen is acceptable. All techniques of light microscopy are acceptable.
- Movies must be submitted digitally by uploading to the Small World Competition entry area on the www.nikonsmallworld.com Web site. Maximum file size is 100MB, and it is recommended the file size be no smaller than 3MB although smaller file sizes will not be disqualified. Movies should be no longer than 2 minutes in length. Files must be in .avi, .wmv, .mov, mp4, mpeg4 or .flv format.
- Each entrant may submit up to three movies for judging. A completed and signed official entry form, facsimile, or complete Internet entry form must be used.
- Entries will be judged on:
- Informational Content
- Technical Proficiency
- Visual Impact
- Entries must be received no later than April 30, 2015 to be eligible for prizes.
- Please send all correspondence to Nikon’s Small World Competition, Nikon Instruments Inc., 1300 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY 11747-3064 USA or email [email protected]nikonsmallworld.com
- Prizewinners will be notified by August 15, 2015.
- The decision of Nikon’s panel of judges will be final.
- All files will be retained by Nikon Instruments Inc., and cannot be returned.
- If your entry is selected by Nikon as a winning movie, you will give non-exclusive rights to Nikon to use your name and the movie in connection with the competition. You also certify that you hold the rights to grant such permission. Winning movies will only be used in connection with the Nikon Small World Competition and accompanying publicity and will include appropriate photo credits.
- Contestants will be notified regarding usage should Nikon be approached with any commercial opportunities related to a submitted movie or movies.
- All reasonable care will be taken in handling digital files, but Nikon Instruments Inc. will not assume any responsibility for their loss or damage.
- Offer void where prohibited.
- Taxes, if any, on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prizewinner.
- Failure to comply with and accept all of the preceding rules will disqualify any entry.
For More Information: