Application Deadline: 11 July 2023
Together with the National Research Foundation (NRF) in South Africa, the DAAD awards funding for Master and PhD degrees at South African Universities to South Africans citizens or permanent South African residents as part of its In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme.
The NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship is jointly awarded by the DAAD and the NRF to full-time Master and PhD students in South Africa in all fields of study at any South African university.
- A South African citizenship or a permanent South African residency is a requirement for the scholarship. Applicants must be 30 (Masters) or 32 (PhD) years of age or younger in the year of application.
- The NRF minimum academic requirement for postgraduate funding is 65%.
- The scholarships are intended to support honours, master’s and doctoral candidates to pursue studies in all areas of Science, Engineering, Technology, Social Sciences, and Humanities.
- Successful applicants will be funded either at Full Cost of Study (FCS) or Partial Cost of Study (PCS).
- The FCS funding will be awarded to South African citizens and Permanent Residents only, who are either financially needy (i.e., those whose combined household family income is less than or equals to R350 000 per annum), living with a disability or exceptional academic achievers. However, the PCS funding will be awarded to 5% of international students including South African citizens and Permanent Residents who could not be funded under FCS, but meet other minimum requirements for the NRF scholarship funding criteria.
NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship holders are eligible for exciting funding and networking opportunities in addition to the scholarship they have received for their full-time Master or PhD degree in South Africa:
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for a short term research stay to Germany. More Information here: NRF-DAAD Short-term Stay Germany Leaflet
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for one of five interdisciplinary summer schools offered in Germany during their funding period:
- University of Frankfurt – Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching (27th August – 18th September 2023)
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW Hamburg) – Education and Research orientated Training in Health Sciences (1st August – 31st August 2023 )
- Heidelberg University – Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Global Health (8th August – 31st August 2023)
- University of Applied Sciences Cologne (TH Köln) – Climate Change Adaptation: Risk Assessment and Design of Interventions (CC-Adapt) (12th August – 3rd September 2023)
- University of Leipzig – Innovators, Doers and Entrepreneurs [at] summer school (IDEAS) (3rd – 24th September; Virtual Conference: 26th – 30th June, 24th – 28th July, 18th – 20th October 2023)
Students’ Applications Closing Dates:
|Level of study||Closing dates|
|Honours||24 November 2023|
|First-time Master’s||11 July 2023|
|First-time Doctoral||11 July 2023|
|Master’s and Doctoral Extension Support||18 August 2023|
For More Information: