Application Deadline: December 5th 2017
YLVP aims to support young leaders in the MENA-region and Sweden by giving them the tools and methods they need in their work for an equal and sustainable society. All participants are experts in their field, and learning will take place between participants and through external experts. YLVP is as much about personal as professional development. It is about growing as a person with renewed confidence and insights, and growing as a leader with new tools, methods and perspectives.
The programme is an intense training based on real experiences and collaborative learning. The contents of the programme will vary from year to year as it is the particular expertise and experience of the participants that will largely determine the topics dealt with. The following broader issues will however always be cenral: value-based leadership and group development; democracy and human rights for a more equal and sustainable society; networks and the digital world. Participants will learn by participating in interactive sessions with facilitators, exchanging experiences, doing practical exercises and finding common solutions to global and/or common challenges.
YLVP will give you:
- New tools, methods and perspectives that is needed when working for an equal and sustainable society.
- Greater understanding of the environment and issues on a local, regional and global level
- Personal insights and self-awareness as a leader, a change-maker and a person
- Meet and get to exchange ideas with other experts, inspire each other and share experiences on common challenges.
- Hands-on training with digital tools, tactics and security
- A strong and active alumni network that support each other in driving important changes in society
You can apply to YLVP if you:
- Have a leading position in your work for social change (for example in your work as a civil servant, a youth politician, a legal worker, a journalist, a social worker, a social entrepreneur or a cultural worker).
- Work in a collaborative setting, where you have a leadership role (formal or informal)
- Are working actively for democracy, sustainability, diversity and/or human rights
- Are between 22 and 32 years old
- Have a good working knowledge of both written and spoken English
- Are a citizen of Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine*, Sweden, Syria, Tunisia or Yemen.* Palestinian ID holders, including Jerusalem ID.
Please note that we are not able to make any exceptions to the eligibility requirements.
Costs covered and arranged by Swedish Institute
- Training and content
- Accommodation, food and domestic transport during the programme
- Flight tickets to and from module 1 and 2
- Insurance covering acute illness and accident when in Sweden
- Visa costs
Costs covered and arranged by you
- Domestic travel / airport transfer in your home country
- Insurance when modules are held outside of Sweden
YLVP is made up of four weeks divided into two modules at separate times. YLVP is an intensive programme with a full-day schedule and many evening activities, and all selected participants will have to commit to participating in all activities of both Module 1 and 2.
Module 1 (in Stockholm, Sweden, 23 April – 11 May, 2018)
During the first module, we will dive straight into the experience-based leadership training with a focus on personal and group development. A substantial amount of time will be dedicated to feedback, active listening and reflection, and together we will create a safe space for you to explore your approach to driving social change. You will be an active participant in several seminars and workshops that touch on topics that are important and relevant to you – such as diversity, human rights, transparency and tolerance. You will also take part in practical group assignments and project work throughout the module. You will get the opportunity to attend at least one study visit to a relevant Swedish organisation or institution..
Module 2 (location to be decided, 13–19 October, 2018)
Module 2 takes place a few months after the end of Module 1, after you’ve had time to start implementing the lessons from the first module into your work. The focus will be to maintain, build and expand the network, to continue the learning journey and follow up the development of your work.
Application – step by step
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Swedish Institute’s Young Leaders Visitors Programme (YLVP) 2018