Application Deadline: October 1st 2015
Open to all recent PhD recipients and doctoral candidates.
The Academy Scholars Program identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their careers whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences (including history and law) with a command of the language, history, or culture of non-Western countries or regions. Their scholarship may elucidate domestic, comparative, or transnational issues, past or present.
The Academy Scholars are a select community of individuals with resourcefulness, initiative, curiosity, and originality, whose work in non-Western cultures or regions shows promise as a foundation for exceptional careers in major universities or international institutions.
Academy Scholars are appointed for two years by the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies and are provided time, guidance, and access to Harvard University facilities.
- The competition for these awards is open only to recent PhD (or comparable professional school degree) recipients and doctoral candidates.
- Those still pursuing a PhD should have completed their routine training and be well along in the writing of their theses before applying to become Academy Scholars; those in possession of a PhD longer than three years are ineligible.
- Postdoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $67,000, and predoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $31,000.
- This stipend is supplemented by funding for conference and research travel, research assistants, and health insurance coverage. Some teaching is permitted but not required.
How to Apply
All application materials need to arrive by the deadline of October 1. We do not accept late applications.
The completed application will include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé
- Research proposal (2500 word maximum)
- Official PhD program transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
The mailing address for the official PhD program transcript is:
The Academy Scholars Program
Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies
Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
1727 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
For express mail services requiring a telephone number, use 617.495.2137.
Letters should be addressed to the « Selection Committee. »
Letters of recommendation need to arrive by the deadline of October 1.
Questions should be emailed to:
- Finalists must be available to travel for a personal interview on our December 15, 2015 interview date.
- The Harvard Academy will arrange and pay for all travel and hotel accommodations for the finalists to interview in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Harvard Academy Scholars Program for Postgraduate Study at Harvard
I am Denis and I am in Rwanda, I would like to apply for the PHD, especially for the field of Economic Development, Finance or International Business; are these fields available for scholarship? I currently have a General MBA from Oklahoma Christian University. I currently work for the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning as Treasury Technical Advisor to Permanent Secretary and Secretary to the Treasury.
I would be glad to hear from you.
Good day sir/ma, am by name Olutunmogun Anthony Kayode with B. Agric, MSc. Animal Science with specialization in animal breeding and genetics. How do i apply for a PhD to study for genomic in the area of animal breeding and genetic. Am from Nigeria and i current work with National Animal Research Institute Shika, Zaria Kaduna State. Please i will be grateful if i hear from you. Thank you.
Good day; I want to apply for a doctorate course in Business. I have MBA – marketing and currently I am a business development manager in a private organization and would want to return into teaching hence the need to upgrade my education. Thank you
I have a master degree in Human Resource Management from the University of Cape Coast Ghana and I want to apply for a doctorate course in social work. Current I work with World Vision Ghana as a Sponsorship Coordinator. Thank you
am a degree holder of bachelor of arts with education. kindly assist me i want to pursue masters in public administration
Hello ! I am from Nepal
My name is Samrat Shrestha. I study in grade 10, in Siddhartha Vanasthali Institute. My dream is to study in Harvard University in my future. I have researched many things about it. It seems not so easy but I will try my best for it. I hope i will succed.
[…] The Academy Scholars Program identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their careers whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences (including history and law) with a command of the language, history, or culture of non-Western countries or regions. Their scholarship may elucidate domestic, comparative, or transnational issues, past or present. […]