Appplication Deadline: July 31st 2014
The Bastiat Prize for Journalism is given to writers who educate readers by employing Bastiat’s simple, eloquent and witty explanations of complex economic ideas, combined with a clear understanding of markets and their underlying institutions.
Established in 2002 by the International Policy Network, the Bastiat Prize is now in it’s 13th year.
- The Bastiat Prize for Journalism (“BPJ”) is open to all writers, anywhere in the world;
- Entrants must submit their entries through the online entry form on Reason’s website.
- All articles entered for the BPJ must have been published in print or online (or both).
- Articles may comprise or include the transcript of a radio or television broadcast if that transcript has been published in print or online.
- In the case of a question about the legitimacy of an article, the author will be consulted and a final decision will be made by Reason Foundation.
- Entries must comprise between one and three articles.
- Entries must not exceed 5,000 words in total.
- Articles must have been published in English.
- Articles must have been published for the first time between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014.
- Entries must state clearly the name of the publication where each article appeared and the date each article was published.
- The total prize fund is $16,000, divided between first ($10,000), second ($5,000) and third ($1,000) prize winners.
- Finalists will be invited to a prize dinner in New York City on November 10, 2014. (While attendance is encouraged, it is not obligatory to receive the prize.)
- The following individuals and their immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children), significant others, and household members are not eligible to enter the Bastiat Prize for Journalism: First Prize winners of the Bastiat Prize of Journalism from the past three years; Directors, staff, and regular columnists of Reason Foundation; current Judges of the Bastiat Prize.
For More Information: